New Member - North of the Border

hodgeman":29f5xqvy said:
I like the WSM rounds very much and I'd suggest you look at the .300WSM again...by far my favorite cartridge. I've been using one for 5 years and its simply a superb killer of game in a very nice rifle. Manageble recoil and reloading it is a snap.

The .270WSM would be my close second.

I've never shot the .300 short magnum, only the regular .300winmag and though it's fine in hunting situations, I wouldn't want to shoot 3 boxes of ammo in the same afternoon at the range if it's anything close to the .300winmag! Perhaps I am more recoil sensitive than others too :lol: :mrgreen:.

Unfortunately I do not reload at the moment, but would love too!

CanuckBen":1rhl8x8f said:
hodgeman":1rhl8x8f said:
I like the WSM rounds very much and I'd suggest you look at the .300WSM again...by far my favorite cartridge. I've been using one for 5 years and its simply a superb killer of game in a very nice rifle. Manageble recoil and reloading it is a snap.

The .270WSM would be my close second.

I've never shot the .300 short magnum, only the regular .300winmag and though it's fine in hunting situations, I wouldn't want to shoot 3 boxes of ammo in the same afternoon at the range if it's anything close to the .300winmag! Perhaps I am more recoil sensitive than others too :lol: :mrgreen:.

Unfortunately I do not reload at the moment, but would love too!

Ben, I ran the Winchester Supreme 140gr AccuBond in mine before I started loading for mine. It was excellent. Federal loads the 150gr PT, and that would be my pick for a 150 load. Scotty

DrMike":39ez5u53 said:
All the moose, elk and whitetail that I've shot with a 130 grain E-Tip have expired forthwith. I do like the 270 WSM a lot. Consequently, I do not find the recoil on either the 300 WSM or the 325 WSM to be punishing, and I've spent many hours at the bench with them.
The biggest downfall of the 325WSM is the fact that if you dont reload you basically have only 3 ammo choices and for some they cant even find all 3 available locally. I owned one a Winchester M70 Ultimate Shadow in 325 WSM and sold it because I dont like the Winchester power points or the Winchester ballistic silvertips and it did not shoot the Winchester Accubonds well.

SirDario,

Good to see your post. You bring up a good point. While it is true that much of the manufactured ammunition available today is very good, that doesn't mean that all will work with your rifle. I have shot a few rifles chambered in 325WSM that liked the various Winchester offerings, and quite a few more than didn't care for any of it. Thus, you are correct that this is a hand loading proposition. I take it you don't hand load, of you likely would have kept your 325WSM. What are you shooting now? What do you primarily hunt? Again, welcome to the forum. Hope to see you posting again very soon.

Welcome, TGR is a great rifle, and since the 7mm-08 is a ballistic twin to the 7x57 Mauser that was used by Bell and killed all kinds of game, don't think it will not do the job for you, it will!!! I have own four 300WM and two 7mm-08 and all I can say for both is what ever you shoot with them (considering bullet used) they will dispatch the game. To much emphasis today on Magnum cartridges and I have owned and hunting with more than a few of them. My 30-06 still holds the record for number of game taken in my arsenal, but that might change over the next four or five years if I keep using my 7mm08 :mrgreen:

Back