New Member - North of the Border

That is too bad. It is a pity in this case not to have a close relative living in the states, who would be willing to do the paperwork for you?

gerry":22dxu1zw said:
Ben before you give up on the Nosler rifle talk to Clay at Prophet River Firearms, he seems to be able to get harder to get items, maybe he can help.

http://store.prophetriver.com/

Thanks for the link Gerry. I'll get in touch with Clay.

However the thing is that it's not a difficulty of getting a Nosler in Canada, but getting the NRA Membership discount in Canada - I'll still end up with a $1,995 tab+txs+shipping. Mind you I know that the rifle is well worth the coin, I was hoping to also take advantage of the same deal as US customers.

Cheers
Ben

Oldtrader3":2882dpfq said:
That is too bad. It is a pity in this case not to have a close relative living in the states, who would be willing to do the paperwork for you?

I actually go have a number of freinds in the US, but the cost of filling all of the paperwork for the border crossing would totally negate the discount I had hoped of taking advantage of (do I sound like a broken record or what!!).

Cheers
Ben

For our friends on the southern side of the border, it is not Canada Customs that is a problem for bringing home rifles or components; the law is quite generous here. It is US Homeland Security that compels manufacturers in the States to only sell through licensed agents. Consequently, even if Ben had a friend or family member pick up the rifle in the States, he would be running some risk should he be picked up before he crossed the border. Plus, there would be a record to which Homeland Security has access, creating questions. It is getting messy.

Consequently, Clay is a good fellow to work with, Ben.

The problem is always Homeland Security! We pay pay $ billions to build this facade of protection which exists only in our minds! The largest drug smuggler in the I-5 corridor, Northern Border Crossing Corridor of Western Washington State until a year ago, was the 2nd Agent In Charge, who supervised the US Border Patrol! He and his Canadian prosititute girl friend were (for 3 years) probably the preeminent drug smuggling organization in this entire section of the border! We paid $ millions in taxes just to protect us from him, our Protector!! The biggest drug threat criminal in the state was drawing a large federal salary in order to protect us from himself!

DrMike":zqglpos9 said:
For our friends on the southern side of the border, it is not Canada Customs that is a problem for bringing home rifles or components; the law is quite generous here. It is US Homeland Security that compels manufacturers in the States to only sell through licensed agents. Consequently, even if Ben had a friend or family member pick up the rifle in the States, he would be running some risk should he be picked up before he crossed the border. Plus, there would be a record to which Homeland Security has access, creating questions. It is getting messy.

Consequently, Clay is a good fellow to work with, Ben.

I emailed Clay this morning and will see what he suggest. Since the pricing will be the same ($1995), I may definately consider other manifacturers of that price range as well (i.e Sako, Weatherby & CooperFirearms). Not sure however if I should continue that part of the discussion in the Rifle section, rather than the Nosler section! This newb is still on probation :mrgreen:

That being said - Shawn had referred me to Grouse River Outfitters and they got back to me quickly, indicating that they had a number of TGR in stock in a number of caliber (.270WIN, .270WSM, .30-06, .300WSM, .325WSM & .7MM Rem Mag). Again, the price is still $1,995, but there is no wait time for it. If it was a tax-in deal I mayyyyy consider it. We'll see.

Thanks again for your imput guys, much apprecited

Cheers
Ben

Man, all of those are great cartridges! Hard to choose. You do have alot of fine options though with the other makers as well. So many good rifles and so little time! Scotty

beretzs":30kfja2o said:
Man, all of those are great cartridges! Hard to choose. You do have alot of fine options though with the other makers as well. So many good rifles and so little time! Scotty

I know!

I was hoping to see the .280AI in that list as well..you know...just to make things more challenging (read: confusing!)

That danged 280 Improved is really gaining alot of traction lately. Very cool round. I stare at one everytime I visit the man cave. I already have a 7WSM and 7RM so I don't need it, but they are slick. Scotty

Trying to read up on it today. There isn't a lot of info out there as to which game ppl have used it for, though its very close to the 7mm rem mag, well it is, but perhaps not just as fancy. I do answer my own question/research I know, but for any large purchases I do like to have a very good idea of what i'm getting :)

CanuckBen":374jiiv8 said:
Trying to read up on it today. There isn't a lot of info out there as to which game ppl have used it for, though its very close to the 7mm rem mag, well it is, but perhaps not just as fancy. I do answer my own question/research I know, but for any large purchases I do like to have a very good idea of what i'm getting :)

The 280, 280AI, and the 7mm Mag are all very good big-game rounds and any of those three will do what the other two will. Great cartridges them all! My dad has used the 7mm Rem magnum with 160 gr. Partitions since 1973 and it's "always" worked to perfection. The 280AI is a cool round, one I have not personally used, but the ballistics and balance of the cartridge is great. Now the 280 Remington I have used a lot. I've shot quite a few deer, antelope, and elk with it. I used nothing but the 140 gr. Partition (this was BAB - before AccuBond bullet). My largest elk was taken with two shots at 250 yards both of which were through the lungs directly behind his shoulder. One bullet exited and the one was under the hide on the off-side. He only took a couple steps before going down. I'm partial to the 280 Remington but they all are good. If I were to purchase one myself it would be (1)- 280 (2)- 280AI (3)-7MM REMINGTON MAG

004-6.jpg

You know how it works.

Ah, yes, I do indeed know how it works.

David, that is such a great picture. The .280 has to qualify as one of the finest rounds anyone could own for hunting North America. I would hate to be without a .280 in my safe.

That is a great picture David. Excellent picture to be exact.

I do like the 280 a bunch, just with the 7WSM and 7RM and 7x57 (sons) I am content right now. If I wouldn't have gotten the 7WSM, it would have been an easy choice to get in on the 280AI. Scotty

My choice of caliber is about as clear as a mud puddle!

So many great choices, great advantages to each.

I keep going back to the fact that I do want this new rifle to allow me a few hours at the range w/o worring about being beat up.

Considering the choices my supplier currently has in stock (.270WIN, .270WSM, .30-06, .300WSM, .325WSM, .7MM Rem Mag), I could eliminate from this list the .300WSM, .325WSM and the .7MM Rem Mag. Leaves me with both .270's and the odd 6, in the order listed above.

Say I want to try something totally new. Which of the .270 would you go with? My vote, simply based on amunition choices would be the .270win. Can't see to think that with a 150g bullet (not a Nosler unfortunately) that any mid-size NA game (deer, muley, mountain goat, caribou, elk) would stand much change. May be a little soft for Moose, but I HAVE to keep in mind that our moose hunts are done in the xbow seasons, so I really don't need to overkill the caliber choice.

Sigh.

Mud

Puddle.

Over-thinking-it-syndrome

:mrgreen:

270WSM hands down. It's a great cartridge. Nothing against the 270 Win, but I love my WSM. Factory ammo does 3320 or so with 130's, 3200 with 140's and over 3100 with 150's. There is no moose walking thatll suck up too many 150's from that round. Scotty

All the moose, elk and whitetail that I've shot with a 130 grain E-Tip have expired forthwith. I do like the 270 WSM a lot. Consequently, I do not find the recoil on either the 300 WSM or the 325 WSM to be punishing, and I've spent many hours at the bench with them.

beretzs":2tei6y5f said:
270WSM hands down. It's a great cartridge. Nothing against the 270 Win, but I love my WSM. Factory ammo does 3320 or so with 130's, 3200 with 140's and over 3100 with 150's. There is no moose walking thatll suck up too many 150's from that round. Scotty

I know that Nosler offer 140 & 150 (custom handloads) in the 270WSM. If you've shot them before, how did you like them?

I agree that a 150g hole to the lungs will stop them in their tracks pretty efficiently!

I like the WSM rounds very much and I'd suggest you look at the .300WSM again...by far my favorite cartridge. I've been using one for 5 years and its simply a superb killer of game in a very nice rifle. Manageble recoil and reloading it is a snap.

The .270WSM would be my close second.

Back