new personal best... with a 270 wsm!

nice shooting. I love range pictures as it shows people are actually out there pulling the trigger and not just talking about it.

This will be interesting to see if you can duplicate that awesome group.

I don't get too caught up in measuring the group size but rather just see if something can cover all three and associate the group with that.

The best I ever shot was
100 yds
300 wsm
180 gr BST's
5 shots.
Could cover all five with a nickel with room to spare. Basically a dime would have covered them as well. It was one ragged hole. I have shot three shots like that but never five. I have yet to duplicate that 5 shot group. It was one of those ...where on earth do we go from here...it was that good. Silly good.

338winmag":20q8wmw8 said:
That my friend is just some really incredible shooting!!!
I know it is a 270 WSM but what make rifle is that?

338winmag

Sorry, I forgot this part. It is a Winchester M70 action with a stainless supermatch 25" 3 groove Pac-nor. Bedded into a B&C Medalitst (same stock used on the new Winchester Extreme Weather I believe). With scope (VX-III 4.5-14x40 LR), sling and three rounds, it weighs in at 8.25 lbs. It is showing lots of potential, but I'm having a bit of a hard time getting it nailed down. Getting close though :wink:

Looks good Jake. Seems like your RL25 groups are pretty awesome as well.

Your STW is hammering them! Man, what a shooter that rifle is as well. I can see it getting some good field time!

Well, Jake you got my .270WSM best load beat. My Model 70 Super Shadow in .270WSM best group was a few years ago. It managed to put 3 90 gr Speer TNT's into a group that measured .113 of an inch. And it is still box stock with factory barrel and ugly black stock with blind magazine. I only replaced the Burris Fullfield II 3-9 Ballistiplex scope with a new Redfield Revolution 4-12 last week. Sadly, it doesn't shoot as well as it used to. Punching way too much paper over the past 8 years has taken its toll on the throat. My 130 gr Ballistic Tip handloads that used to run 3200 fps over the chrono only clock 3000 fps now. I guess I may have to contact PacNor and see about a new barrel... :( Although it still did a fine job on a Montana whitetail buck and doe this past fall. Maybe I will give it another year or two. Even if it is now more like a .270 Win than a .270WSM, standard .270 Win ballistics are still more than enough for anything I will be hunting in the next couple of seasons. And it still has okay accuracy, MOA on good days, 1.5 or so on the So-So days.

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to play with it some more this weekend, as the second test with that load was less than desirable.

Back