NEW PROJECT- .300 WSM STILLER PREDATOR

CZ

Handloader
Jun 21, 2007
NEW year new project.-STLLER PREDATOR

stiller-predator action- jewell trigger
barrel- Carbon fiber wrapped Satern barrel, titanium brake.
stock.- manners mcs-gat glass bedded and duracoat painted.-
16 weeks for the stock :(
Will show the advance, this week chambered, barrel installed.

CZ

That sound nice!
Looking forward to the finished project.

JD338

Fascinating. I will indeed look forward to your range results.

What overall length will the Stiller action let you load the .300 WSM to, and still fit in the magazine?

Interesting project!

Guy will post information as we advance on the project,
for sure stiller makes fine looking actions a la Remy700,
In my way of thinking a good Remy 700 action(blueprinted)
makes an excellent plataform for any custom rifle, will make
no difference from stiller,borden,surgeon, or any custom action.

16 weeks for a stock? Well, I've waited longer for McMillans....

I am looking forward to this build. After seeing how the 300WSM works, I am beginning to be a fan of it.

Last year we build.-
Remy700 WSM action SS
Christiensen Arms barrel chambered for .300WSM
Started with a Mcmillan stock was changed to a Manners
MCS-gat Digital cammo stock.
Recoil and action glassbeded, barrel channel completely
floated.-
Works like a champ.

Good luck with the Stiller Action. My friend and I just built two long range rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor configurations -- chose the Stiller TAC 30 and had a few problems you might want to check before handing them over to the gunsmith. First off, the actions were sent with tooling marks, and they were not minimal marks that someone would overlook. We showed them to the gunsmith and he refused to install them saying that the actions should be nearly perfect for the 980.00 that we had spent. We sent them back and received new actions (credit to Stiller). When back the gunsmith noticed that they would not properly chamber rounds. Upon further inspection he found that the ejector pins protruded from the rim of the bolt face by .030 (noticeable to the naked eye). You should also know that these actions, though advertise as blueprinted, were not perfectly square and still needed some machining work.

The long story is, they ended up working fine and Stiller sent a couple of extra bolt stops and ejector assemblies for our trouble. I hope they have their quality control fixed. I think they have a great business model if they can keep do a little more quality control before the actions leave the door.

The guns shoot terrific. They should. We have almost 6,500 per rifle into each. Building the perfect rifle is anticlimactic and frustrating. Kind of like building a house. They shoot one hole groups at 200 yds. Still waiting for some better weather to see what they can really do!

Wow! JP, Stiller QC probably went down the toilet. I never own a Stiller action but my smith, who's opinion I respected so much, spoke highly of them. I will be irate if after paying almost a grand on a custom action, you still have to pay to have it squared.

That's what I was thinking DF. The big advantage of the Stiller was being able to buy it, and use it without having any more work done to it.... Whereas with a Remington action, a guy knows he's going to have to have it squared & worked over.

Still, I'll bet CZ's rifle comes out great!

Guy Miner":16rmdcfg said:
That's what I was thinking DF. The big advantage of the Stiller was being able to buy it, and use it without having any more work done to it.... Whereas with a Remington action, a guy knows he's going to have to have it squared & worked over.

Still, I'll bet CZ's rifle comes out great!

Yup! Sounds like an awesome rig.

On another note, I'm still grappling on the concept of carbon wrapped barrel. I understand the reasoning behind it being it reduces weight. But what cracks me up is when I heard people spouting the heat absorbing ability of a carbon wrapped barrel as if it has this magical heat dissipating characteristic. That might be! But what about the rifled liner underneath it? I think the carbon wrapped barrel can create some kind of misconception. I believe, you can burned these barrel faster than a conventional barrel if you're not careful. Just my 02 cents :?

On the heat dissipation characteristics, there are a bunch of "ifs" involved for me. If carbon fiber has a low specific heat, it will absorb the heat from the rifled liner quickly, and dissipate it quickly into the atmosphere (because a low specific heat gains and loses heat more quickly than a high specific heat). If that's the case, then we get to the second if. If the carbon fiber's low specific heat makes it absorb heat more quickly, can it efficiently dissipate heat in the configuration of a rifle barrel, with a hot metal core and a relatively thick carbon fiber wrapping? Once we get past the first two ifs, which may well be true, the last if is the final key. If the carbon fiber wrap acts as a heat sink for the metal core, how does that affect the heat distribution in the non-wrapped, solid steel barrel shank where the chamber resides, and how much of the throat is in that non-wrapped area?

I think carbon fiber wraps are neat looking, cool sounding, and for me, not worth the money. But for those who like them, maybe they know something I don't. It's all about personal choice!

Carbon wrapped barrels for sure work, below the
carbon fiber resides a good quality barrel, and for sure keeps
weight to a minimum.
Make the barrel a lightweight and stiff.
In makeing a rifle accurate its not only the
barrel, a good quality buildup is what make
a rifle accurate.
Price?? double of what a premium match barrel
costs.
Its like haveing a HH, merkel,blazer...... a good
quality rifle with premium components costs what
a Blazer costs.

re: carbon wrapped barrels:

I spoke with several companies, very well known for the quality of barrels (all the known names) and all mentioned that it was hit or miss in terms of accuracy with them. I should mention that these were companies that were suppliers of the barrels. These companies turn their barrels down and then send them out for the carbon wrap.

Since it costs about double for a carbon wrapped barrel, I decided to wait until the technique has been perfected...

let me tell you something THEY WORK!
but like I said what counts most is the buildup,
a profesional instalation of the barrel, a good
quality stock "properly bedded", an excellent
trigger and mount system.
Ive build rifle with cheapo barrels, and
sometimes :roll: are extremly accurate.

Back