New project: Atlatl

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
I am not allowed to hunt with it over here, but I am going to build one. Actually, I have two prototypes for the launcher that need fine-tuning and different spears. Well. They are not spears, yet.
Got a bunch of full-length turkey feathers and my fletching tool is ready to go.
Ordered some 1045 steel to make points. Flint knapping is way beyond my skills right now. Something for sometime...
My boys are going to help putting it all together and then we go out and try if we hit something.

Anyone done this before?

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

The larger spears are too wide for the fletching tool. Had to take some material off. Maybe I do it free hand next time.
Looking forward to throwing them
52e1f09eb8887b00d15ab75c0f583e98.jpg
356556df4a88d13970fb4ba37c9c0494.jpg

I’ve made several atlatls. They are quite fun to play with. I have made darts out of the stiffest carbon arrows with all thread and aluminum footing at the joint. Makes for a great durable takedown dart.

What materials are you using for darts? What style atlatl are you making?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just grabbed stuff at the DIY market.
Some beech for the thrower and bamboo and some fir poles for the spears. No idea which style it will be. Freestyle I guess. It is a first try to get a feeling for it.
Tips are welcome!

I will post pictures once they are more or less finished.
Right now they are roughly carved pieces of wood...

Looking at the historical finds, I would call mine very free-style.
Just a first try and I will work on both with lots of tuning
7e31d9a7aaeb8beb50d4d4a52b30b2f7.jpg

That's what I have so far.

Working on the spears now and will see if they fit me and my boys. Otherwise I will make some more.

I have some normal arrow heads and I will forge some heads from steel I ordered.
Fun project. I am not allowed to hunt with it. But there are worse ways to spend a weekend
d9225358ffa6ab40db81fc478b27cb4f.jpg

Back