New Research, Load Development-Accuracy and Terminal Results

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Well, my 45 Cal. Cap-lock rifle has been rebarreled and it running again. I will be able now to continue my research and load development. Even though it will shoot all of the bullets you will see in the pictures below, I will be concentrating on three paper patch bullets 330gr LBY, 410gr and 500gr (paper patched bullet lubed with 100% bear grease) . I will also be working with two maybe three sabot bullets.

t is a 45 Cal cap lock with a 31" barrel having a 1 & 16" twist with .458" grooves and .450" lands with grooves being 50% wider than lands. I have driven a 330gr special LBT designed paper patch bullet 1850fps shooting 3" - 3 1/2" at 100yds using open sights with the older barrel which I did not like. The new barrel is shooting that same load at 1 1/2"-2 1/4" at 100yds with this same load and is at 1874fps.

Paper patch bullets excluding the special 330gr LBT bullet which I will post later.
IMG_8514.jpg

Here are the sabot bullets all but the one on the left are LBT bullets.
IMG_8515.jpg

These are all the bullets it can shoot and I have tested.
IMG_8518.jpg

Here are pictures of the rifle again.
IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8520.jpg

IMG_8521.jpg

IMG_8525-1.jpg

IMG_8540.jpg

IMG_8524.jpg

IMG_8522.jpg

I will commit to carry this rifle one day of my bear hunt in Arizona in a tight canyon area.

Way to go bullet. I'll be tracking your progress and good luck with the project. :grin: :grin:

GB300wm":4tlohbwo said:
Way to go bullet. I'll be tracking your progress and good luck with the project. :grin: :grin:

As will I.....

bullet,

What size are your bullets before you paper patch them?

That sounds like a fun way to go. Are they difficult to load?

thanks...jim

HunterJim":33el8kzr said:
bullet,

thanks...jim

First let me say my rifle is 1 & 18 twist I did not mean to post 1 & 16. The bullets are .445" then paper patched. If you let me know I have a friend who actually makes these bullet and paper patches them and I have not seen anyone do a good a job as he does. Let me know and I will give you his info and you can call him and talk to him. Jim really knows his stuff.

bullet":1vb6ot5w said:
HunterJim":1vb6ot5w said:
bullet,

thanks...jim

First let me say my rifle is 1 & 18 twist I did not mean to post 1 & 16. The bullets are .445" then paper patched. If you let me know I have a friend who actually makes these bullet and paper patches them and I have not seen anyone do a good a job as he does. Let me know and I will give you his info and you can call him and talk to him. Jim really knows his stuff.

You can PM or email me and I will give him a call. I also know a paper patch guy, he is a BPCR shooter and I need some ML questions answered...thanks...jim

Conducting my seminar for this week which ends Wed night. Yesterday we were making sure my rifles are sighted in for my hunt that beings this Friday.

Took my muzzle loader and load 110grs of Triple 7 3F in front of a 410gr paper patched cast bullet and sent it down range at 1775fps and that translate to 2868ft pounds of energy. I am sighted in at 3" at 100 yds putting me -7" at 200yds. Then stood free hand and my friend ranged a rock which was 200yds away, about 12" wide and 8" high and I hit it, guess the muzzleloader is ready.

My 338 hit a 6" x 8" rock at 350yds and my 358Win hit one about that size at 300yds. Guess things are ready to go :)

bullet,

The custom ML is an itch that is not always easy to scratch. I should have one coming in a week or three, Lord Harry and the creek don't rise!

Your point blank range to 200 yards sounds really cool; I have hunted many places you could not see that far. Of course I ranged a really nice 4X4 mule deer in Colorado at 271 yards once upon a hunt and did not shoot.

good hunting...jim

HunterJim":gg9x5s0v said:
bullet,

The custom ML is an itch that is not always easy to scratch. I should have one coming in a week or three, Lord Harry and the creek don't rise!

Your point blank range to 200 yards sounds really cool; I have hunted many places you could not see that far. Of course I ranged a really nice 4X4 mule deer in Colorado at 271 yards once upon a hunt and did not shoot.

good hunting...jim

Where are you getting it from and what will it be??? :)

The barrel twist is 1 turn in 20" and it is cut-rifled. ID is .451 and the grooves are 35 thou deep. I will have to measure the barrel when it arrives...jim

Nice, I like it, hope it does well for you. Mine is now shooting a 410gr paper patch at 1775fps and is only a few inches low at 200. It hits like a hammer.

Back