New rifle advice - looking for a triple purpose rifle

I kind of like Guy’s idea of a 25-05. It’s got tolerable recoil, shoots plenty fast and flat for coyotes, and had more than enough for any deer that walks the earth. That said, there are no flies on the 243 Win or 260 Rem!
V/R,
Joe

I am kind of leaning towards the 25-06 or 6.5 CM. I like that I can load 75-80 gr for the 25-06.

I love the .25/06.... it’s my favorite round.... and I’ve killed all kinds of stuff with it. That being said.... the 6 Creed whips its a$$. 55s at 4K+.... 108s at 3000 (with a .535 BC).... and it takes 10-15 grains less powder than the .25/06.

Ridgerunner665":1sfgx3bx said:
Get another 243....

Going forward components are going to stay scarce off and on, it'll simplify your life and save you money in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Good advice there- I have a 243 in the safe for just those reasons...but it never gets shot, in part because I've got a 250 Savage that fills all the bills, except elk. My vote would be for a 25-06 or a 257 roberts cause Im kinda a .25 guy. However, to cover all the bases, if you load a 7mm-08, or a 7 Mag would do it all. CL

I had not considered the 6mm creed. However the ruger predator is a good idea as I could put a brake or a suppressor on it.

I’ve owned a bunch or RAR Predators... they all shot like a champ.

6 Creed is a great round, and excellent factory amp can be found for under $30/box.

Gotta agree with some on the Ruger American predator. Ive owned two, and shot two more extensively and they all shot amazing. Calibers were 6.5 CM(2), 308, and 6.5 grendel. Plus they are cheap. Also they already aren't pretty so beating your way through a briar thicket won't hurt your feelings [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I currently have one Ruger American at the house (wife's 243) and had another one that I sold in 308. Both were bought at a pawn shop and I paid I total a 325 for both rifles combined. Both rifles shot really well. the 243 can put 3 shots in a ragged hole. So I know the RAR's are shooters. Cleveland you are right, these are the perfect rifle's to beat all to heck and not be too concerned about it.

I have a 6.5x55 which I very much enjoy shooting. I suspect that 6.5CM would be really, really similar. However, I don't think you could go wrong with the .243 for reasons specified above. Any of the .257 bores will do nicely, as advocated above, but if you don't have one already, it also includes a little bit in extra costs (reloading setup) and the need to seek out different components. If you are okay with that, I suppose it really doesn't matter.

Of course, then I have to wonder - if any or all of the above choices will do what you want, why do we have all of them? I suppose that's a debate for another thread and another time.

You and your family like the 243 for its intended purpose. So if you want the same thing, only different, you might want to consider the 240 Weatherby or the 244 H & H ( not to be confused with the 240 Apex ) They are both like having a 243 on steroids .

Other folks have suggested something larger in caliber and if your going all the way up to 6.5, dont discount the Swede as it has taken an animal or two over the years and it is a "classic"

If I was going to go up from 243 it would be the 257 Weatherby, Swede, or 7mm-08--however head to head the Creedmoor will outperform the Swede, but not by much

djauofd":1idezo94 said:
For me 260 Rem you can load light bullets or load heavies. Accurate easy to load. You also keep yourself in the same base brass cartridge. 308 win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This.

All day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I suggest deciding on action length first, then caliber will be bounded. A wide range in bullet weight in a given caliber [55 to 100 in 6mm] is not optimum. Twist for the weights most desirable. In 243, a low of 80 to 100 gr for 10 twist, maybe 70 grs.

Lots of choices. The 243 is very ubiquitous. Ammo and components are a consideration in these times.

Thanks for all of the responses and advice. I have plenty to ponder. Getting a hold of components and a rifle that I would want right now would be pretty difficult.

I added a new caliber last March. Dies, bullets, and brass were still available then. Just addd a second 6.5 CM only to find components scarce. Some SRP brass but that's it. Invested in 308 and it's derivatives a long time ago. Expanded 308 brass inventory to make sure that I was covered for situations like we are in now. I hope that prices return to sensible levels.

I haven't messed with the .243 much lately but when I lived in Nevada a .243 was my truck gun. One load only, the 100 gr. Hornady for coyotes and a few deer. Lots of paper punching too. IIRC, I used IMR 450 and WLR primers. Coyotes and jackrabbits hated that rifle like poison. I gave that rifle to a friends son shortly before I moved to Arizona. Picked up a Ruger #1 in .243 at a gun show and later a Winchester M70 from my son in law. He'd gotten a job transfer to Boston and was afraid of their gun laws. I gave him $200 for the gun and junked the cheapie Simmons scope that was on it. Both rifles have Leupold 3x9s on them now. I guess I should make up some loads and bring them back out into the sunlight. Just might do that when it warms up a bit. If I want to get a decent bench at the range then I have to get there when they open at 7AM. It was 30 degrees this AM at 7AM. I don't figure I'll enjoy shooting paper when it's that chilly. I'd do it if I was planning to leave for a hunt in a day or so but not for recreational shooting.
Paul B.

Back