New rifle build ideas

Looking at what's already in the safe, you have a 25 cal or even 26 caliber gap that needs filled. :lol:
I am biased toward the 25s (any of them).
Dewey

laylandad,

Consider a better designed action if your spending the time and money for one to be assembled from selected components.

The 700 is an entry level cheap design.

Consider a CRF M70, Commercial Mauser etc.

Savage99":1c525a5i said:
laylandad,

Consider a better designed action if your spending the time and money for one to be assembled from selected components.

The 700 is an entry level cheap design.

Consider a CRF M70, Commercial Mauser etc.

Please take your act back to 24hourcampfire.

The Rem 700 is still one of the best out there, I'm happy with the ones I have had.

@Savage99 - I can assure you that while I am no fan of Remington these days - as evidenced by many comments here and elsewhere - it's just as easy to find a crap Winchester from the latter days of New Haven, or a garbage commercial Mauser that won't hold up to much more than casual "minute of barn door" shooting. Of the actions you mention, I'd lay a strong wager that a fellow could have 100 rifles built out of each and find the Remington actions to be as accurate or more so than the others. If you have something constructive to add (like, for instance, why you'd choose a different action, or what experience you have that tells you these things) feel free. But if you're just spoiling for a fight, exit stage left. We don't do that here.

@laylandad - With what you have in the safe, I'd lean strongly toward the 25-06, of the two rounds you've mentioned. A 6.5 of some variant would also be fun, different, and fill a niche in your lineup. The 280 is already there, in two forms - the 7mm-08 is 98% of what the 280Rem is, and the 7mmRemMag is 105%. Why duplicate what you already have, if your effort is to have something "different?"

Anything at or over 300 yards, I would choose the .280 Remington. I have owned both and have shot several mule deer at longer ranges with each. The 160 gr AccuBond or Partition bullet which can be pushed at 3000 fps with a .280 has a higher ballistic coefficient to fly well past 300 yards carrying sufficiently high velocity and energy than a 120 grain .25-06 bullet does. For these reasons, I would go with the .280 Remington.

I think a .280 Remington will suite your needs quite well. That is a great cartridge. If you're looking for a great gunsmith and a great guy to work work with, I highly recommend giving Mr. Truman Wilson in Delta, CO a call (970)-874-3030 He's built several rifles for me and is building another as we speak, all have been tack drivers. He does great work, and is one of the most honest and caring people I've ever done business with.

UPDATE:

Having just acquired a .260 Remington, I've decided to go with a .25-06. Thanks for the advice.

Good luck with your 25-06. Please keep us informed on how the build is going. Photographs are always nice :).

Blessings,
Dan

Back