New rifle choices, need opinions, 300WBY or 300 RUM, 338 RUM

Sako7STW

Beginner
Nov 13, 2012
So I am going to buy one of these three rifles and would like to hear which you would choose and why. The rifle I am looking to provide some serious power for Elk hunting and possibly future Alaska/Canada/Africa hunts. Max range 600 yards. Not looking for long range, just serious power to hit like the hammer of Thor. Reason for these 3 is they can be dropped into a thumbhole stock I want to use. Here goes:

Option 1: .300 WBYMAG, Weatherby stainless Vanguard 2, $610
Likes; best price, brother has dies and everything needed for reloading, could easily be re-barreled to .340 WBYMAG, easy to find ammo for, known to be very accurate out of box, 3+1 capacity, leaves more $ for scope
Dislikes; 24" bbl=less Velocities, brass price for good brass, dont know if it offers much over my 7STW

Option 2: .300 RUM, Stainless Rem 700, approx $765
Likes; Highest Velocities, bigger case capacity, lots of brass choices, cheaper brass, easy to find ammo for, good price, 26" bbl
Dislikes; don't know if it offers much over my 7STW, Lower energy VS. .338RUM., questionable Remington quality as of late, less options for heavy bullets, 2+1 capacity, have to buy dies ect. for reloading
Option 3: .338RUM, Remington XCR II, Approx $950
Likes; most energy, big bullets available, 26" BBL, Black finish over stainless good for AK hunt
Dislikes; slowest, Most expensive, questionable Remington quality as of late, 2+1 capacity, have to buy dies ect. for reloading, leaves alot less $ for scope, harder to find ammo and brass for. Brass is more $, only one rifle to choose from.

i have the 338 rum. taken 2 bull elk with it niether of which took another step after hit. shots were at 606 and 671, 225 ab went through both with great results. its alot of horsepower but i i love mine. remington 700 bdl lh topped with vx3 6.5x20x40 with turrets. shoot 1 you will soon love it. i have an extra set of hornady dies would be willing to part with if you decide on this gun.

300 rum!

I have had 300, 338, and 375 rums and still use the 300 and 375 rum. My 300 rum shoots 168gr Ttsx @ 3350 fps. It's very flat shooting and I haven't been able to stop one inside an animal yet. I've even gone stem-stern on a bull moose at 200 yards with it.

If you really want to go 338 then definitely go 338 edge, easy to load for and easy to tech amber a 338 rum to. Brass is easier to come by and picks up a bit of speed.

Which ever you go if using a Remington switch to a wyat extended mag box and throat accordingly.

If I were buying, I'd throw one more option into the mix - a used Mark V in either 300Wby or 340Wby. Depending on the characteristics you're after, a decent used Mark V can be had in those chamberings for anywhere from $600-1000, which is right in line with your current list. The Mark V is a great platform, and offers all the advantages of 26" barrel, moderate weight, and high quality. If you can find a 300Wby in the Stainless Synthetic model, you'll be set. I love mine. Alternately, something like this Alaskan in 340Wby:

http://www.marksgunsearch.com/details/1 ... by-mark-5/

If you were able to find one in 300, you'd have the advantage of not buying dies, though that'll only save you about $35. The 340Wby offers bullet weight options heavier than 200gr, but the good news is, there's just not much you can't do with a 180-200gr bullet in a 300Wby.

If you want something "customized" to your own tastes and are not in a hurry, you could try this as a starting point:

http://www.marksgunsearch.com/details/1 ... by-mark-5/

I suspect you could buy it for under $500 and that might include shipping. It's been sitting on the rack at Mark's for longer than 6mo, so they'll want to move it. Have it stripped and cera-koted ($200-250) in the color of your choice, and it will be as corrosion resistant as stainless. Add a Bell&Carlson Medalist stock ($225-250), again in your choice of colors, and you'll still get out with a very, very nice rifle for under $900, before optics. Top either this one or the 340 Alaskan above with a Zeiss Conquest, Meopta MeoPro, or Minox ZA3 or ZA5, in 3-9x40 or 2-10x40, buy brass, dies, and components, and you've outfitted the whole thing for less than $1500, pretty handily. Or you could avail yourself of this smoking hot deal:

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=521430

for anywhere from $590-700, depending on your reticle choice. That's what I have on my 300, and it's spectacular. Of course, I have a Minox ZA5 in 4-20x50 on my 270Wby is also excellent. If you just want a good scope for low cost, you can spend $350 or less for a used Meopta MeoPro or a Zeiss Conquest in 3-9x40/42, both of which still carry a lifetime warranty beyond the first purchaser. Here's a deal on the MeoPro:

http://www.marksscopefinder.com/invento ... cope-42mm/

There are plenty of options, obviously, but these give you what you want (26" barrel, velocity) without the concerns of spotty quality at Remington lately.

My all time elk rifle caliber is the .340 Weatherby. It does the job hands down to 500 yards with accuracy and power. Sure there are others now, but the .340 was the original long range elk rond, since 1961.

Of the 3 choices I would opt for the 300 rum in the CDL offering. Like you said brass is cheaper than the 300 Weatherby, offers more velocity, and with the LR accubonds coming out it will really kick some long range butt, as if it doesn't already with the current 200 AccuBond. MY 300 Rum pushes the 200 AccuBond at 3200 fps, that's plenty of poop out to 600 yards and more.

I would vote for the 338 RUM. More bullet weight for larger game and ALOT of bullets to cover what any of the 300's will do and then push up into bullet weights that would handle all but the largest game.

Dub throws out some great great options as well.

dubyam, thank you for your time with the links. Has me thinking. This was supposed to make it easier on me not harder lol. The shop here had a Mark V in .300 WBY black on black NIB for $850. I would have bought it yesterday but it was sold. Didn't have the funds when they showed it to me before. I wish I could find a 30-378 or 338-378 used for a deal, that would be boingngngngngng. I am thinking real hard on that .340 and that .300 .I will be restocking it anyways and I wonder how much $$ it would be to rebarrel it to a .340 or something like that. A 28" in .340 fluted stainless + a brake would be pretty awesome!!

I plan on topping whatever I choose with one of these options:

Burris Eliminator III
Trijicon 5-50x50mm triangle post ret
Hawke Sidewinder 30 6-24X56mm (low funds option LOL)

I have a bad habit while shooting of focusing on my intended target and NOT on my crosshairs when it comes down to the moment. It has cost me some good trophies. In particular, a huge mule deer 2 years ago. I am hoping with the lighted reticles it will help draw my eyes attention and remind me to think when I shoot. I have wanted to try the Trijicon for years as quick target acquisition I think would be awesome with that scope. Like I said I am not going long range with this rig (to me LR is 1000+) . Fast targeting with big power is my goal.

Thanks for the opinions so far guys, keep them coming. So far it looks like it is a toss up and I was hoping for a more clear cut winner LOL. Now you all can see why I have been beating my head against the wall. SO many good options!

Now that you are swayed a little, the 340 WBY, as Charlie mentioned in a MK5 would be SWEET. Rebarreling a 300 WBY to 340 wouldn't be anymore expensive than any other similarly sized cartridge. It totally depends on builders in your area.

340 WBY has alot of good going for it. One of the best big hitters out there.

I don't know what constitutes a deal, but Mark's has three 30-378s in stock right now for under $1100. I suspect you could negotiate one down to under $1k pretty handily, as they have not moved terribly quickly. One is in what looks like an A2 style stock, has a tactical bolt handle, and may have a shortened barrel (I'd ask for a measurement before I spent money). One appears to be a Fibermark with a muzzle brake, and the other appears to be a synthetic someone restocked with a Weatherby-style B&C Medalist stock in the desert camo paint scheme. It also wears a brake. Link to the whole list, just scroll down to Weatherby:

http://www.marksgunsearch.com/inventory/all/

You may also want to ask them to take some bore pics so you can at least see if these still have rifling. Most of the used Mark Vs they get in are from people who buy them because they've heard the name, and then can't shoot them either because ammo is $75+ per box (and over $100 for the 378-based stuff) or because of the recoil, or both. So they trade them on something like a 300WSM and the customer is happy. The advantage is, the second buyer of the 'bee is also happy, for getting a nearly new 'bee for about 2/3 of new retail. I bought my Stainless Synthetic 300Wby "indirectly" from them several years ago. Buddy of mine bought it, gave it to me to get it shooting right after he test fired it and got patterns instead of groups, and after I fixed it up and got it right, he'd bought an Accumark in 340Wby so he sold the 300 to me for a deal. It was in nearly new condition when I got it. One small mark where something rubbed up against the barrel and left a polished mark in the bead-blasted finish. I've since added several more marks, so that first one is right at home!

For reference, I've done business with Mark's for more than two decades now. Bought a ton of supplies and gear, and a few firearms from them, along with some optics. They are top notch folks. Mark passed away last year from cancer, but his family still owns and runs the store. I live 2hrs away, and always check with them before I buy any firearm.

Another vote for the 338 RUM. Plenty of horse power to hunt anything in NA up close or far away.
You can push a 210 gr PT at 0ver 3200 fps, a 250 gr at 3000 fps and a 300 gr at 2700 fps and just over 5000 fpe.

JD338

338RUM

I reload for several 300 RUM's and I have a personal 338RUM

IMO the 300RUM is overbore and finicky and the 338RUM is a perfect combination of case capacity to bore size

RL25-975.jpg

I have a 300 rum that was built about 5 years or so ago. Absolutely love it. My favorite rifle and love the cartridge. I've killed deer to bears with it up here in AK. 180gr bullets at 3300+ flatten stuff. I center-punched a brownie at about 20 yards and dropped him faster than you can blink. Bullet even exited...

I tried to call on the 340ROY but Mark's did't answer. tried several times plus filled out a online request as well.

I'm a 300 RUM nut. Like the round so much that I owned three rifles chambered in 300 RUM and still own two of them. Found all three of them easy to get a load that would shoot. Think you would be served with either the 340 Bee or 338 RUM or you could get the 300 RUM and rechamber for the 338 Edge later on.

Back