New rifle-To me at least

elkhunternm

Handloader
Jan 10, 2017
Traded for this rifle yesterday at the gun show.

WW1 Mauser M 98 action,Browning stock and barrel. The barrel was a .250/3000 that was re-chambered to .257 Roberts. Took it to the gunsmith so he could check the headspace and he said it was GTG. Scope is an old 4x Redfield with a dot.

100 gr Sierra Pro Hunter,46.0 grs H-4350 and WLR primers. Target is at 100 yards.

As is in the pic,it weighs just a hair over 9-1/2 lbs.

Great rifle
I have an 1898 Mauser in 7mm
Mauser actions are fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always good when a good deal turns out to be a really good deal. The one rifle I have in 257 Roberts isn't picky about what I feed it and the 257 is very mild recoiler at the bench.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is my third .257 Roberts. Plan on keeping it longer than the other two and actually using it hunting. ;)

Very nice, (y) 257 Rob is a very underrated cartridge. Heck, back in the day it was nearly the only quarter bore going, and JOC spoke very highly of it.. My wife and I each have one and enjoy them immensely..
Take care
Ed

Congratulations on your 257 Roberts. Great cartridge that just plain works, weather in the big woods hunting big WT bucks or out west hunting mule deer or speed goats.
My 700 Classic 257 Roberts shoots all bullet weights well, and to the same POI at 100 yards.
She does really well with the 115 gr BT and has no problem hitting the 600 yard gong.
Good luck with your new 257 Bob.

JD338

Maybe not good enough for bench rest competition but plenty good enough for hunting.
bb6f848faae7d44ddfa329c70df36cab.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Years ago I resisted the temptation to rechamber my Mauser from THE caliber to 257 Bob. The Roberts feeds better in that long action than the little 250-3000. I have been fighting feed problems of one form or another for years.

You done good. The Roberts is a very under rated round. Looks like a shooter. What is your load? CL

Cloverleaf,the load is 46.0 grs of H-4350,WLR primers,100 gr Sierra Pro Hunter. Getting an average of 3049 fps.

Will take it out next weekend and shoot the same load over the chronograph and at the target.

Got a wild hair and sized down some Remington 7x57 brass. Trimmed it down to 2.222" and loaded up 46.0 grs H-4350 and 100 gr Sierra. Target was 100yds away and 5 shots,which averaged 3140 fps.

The load used for the other target pic was using Winchester .257 Roberts brass.

Nice looking rifle and a good shooter to boot you can't ask for any more.
My 257 Bob is on a 725 Rem Long action with a Douglas 1-12 Twist barrel that shoots lights out with anything under 120gr.
Got to love the Bob.

Wow. Nice shooting. Great grab too. I really like Mausers (guess I better the way they keep showing up :grin: )

Back