Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
What would you scope my new #1 with?

25-06 #1B

pix006148537.jpg

25.jpg

Basically antelope deer gun.

Wow, that is some gorgeous wood! Instead of putting a scope on it. Why don't you sell it to me and let me worry about the scope selection :wink: . I thing that a VX 6 would look nice on that firearm

A classy rifle like that needs a classy scope. I do believe I'd be looking at a Swarovski or Leica. I would have said I'd look at a Zeiss Diavari, except I don't like the 50mm objectives. I really enjoy my 1.7-10X42 Z6 Swarovski and Leica ER 2.5-10X42. Either would serve you very well, and look quite debonair on that rifle, Fotis.

Yikes. You guys are expensive!

DrMike":8iq66mwe said:
FOTIS":8iq66mwe said:
Yikes. You guys are expensive!

I'll say! Old duffers, you know.

Hey, speak for your self. I am a young Duffer :mrgreen: !

Personally, I have a used Rem 700 in 280 that I am contemplating a scope for. I want to keep it cheap. Was thinking a Minox, but the only Minox I have looked through had thick cross hairs which I did not like. I was also thinking about the Zeiss 3-9 just to keep it cheap.

I put a 2.5-8x32 Conquest on my Number One but it is a 9.3x74R not a .25-06! You can buy a 2-10x40 Minox, open-box ZA-5 for about $370. You sold your Conquest so I guess they are out?

FOTIS":wfwt8kzw said:
Zeiss was on my list
Fotis you would really appreciate the new Lieca rifle scopes. I got to shoot one at "range day" last year and man it was nice. The guy had it mounted on either a Kimber or a Nosler rifle,I forget which one. I guess I was swooning too much to realize I could not get past the pretty scope sitting on top like a queen over her castle. Man they are nice.

I'll be taking my Ruger #1B in 30-06 shooting those stellar 165 gr. Accubonds looking for a big old bull elk. Maybe the stars and moon will align just so and give a little luck. My buddy is taking his 14 year old son. His boy has gotten deer, but no elk yet He's been shooting a .243. One thing that is nice is the fact that kids 12-15 can shoot either a cow elk or a branch antlered bull. I'd be tickled to see his son get one.

Personally, I'd like to see something that tops out at 12 or 15 on top of a 25-06. Like I broken record, I'd look to an open box deal on a minox ZA5 first. But some others that I'd look at would be a Viper 4-12, Viper HS 4-16, and if you were OK with a 50mm... the Meopta Meopro 4-12.

A Minox 2-10 or a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10... Either of those would look pretty nice as well, plus they won't break the bank either.

Oldtrader3":nynfkrjl said:
I put a 2.5-8x32 Conquest on my Number One but it is a 9.3x74R not a .25-06! You can buy a 2-10x40 Minox, open-box ZA-5 for about $370. You sold your Conquest so I guess they are out?

Nope still got the 4.5x14x44 conquest. However that is slated for the 416 Bee along with the 1.5x6x42 Diavari on warne QR rings.

I do have a 4x12x40mm Leupy sitting around doing nothing :p

I'd likely put a 3.5-10x Leupold on it. Prosaic perhaps, but a very good all-around scope for an open country deer & antelope rifle.

Now that I'm an antelope expert... :grin:

Put one of those 3.5-10x Leupolds on my sons 6mm Rem 700 a few years ago and it has proven to be a very good scope. I'd just stick with the standard 1" tube and 40mm objective too. Maybe a B&C reticle?

Really though with the .25-06, you can sight in at 300 yards and be able to hold on hair with mule deer out to 400 yards.

Guy

I thought so. It is a nice scope

VX2_4-12x40_AO_web-530x456.jpg

I thought about buying a VX2 but chickened out and got a VX3 instead because I had read some faint praise on the opticals of the VX2. Let me know what you think when you have a chance to use this scope.

Back