New scope for the Nosler Professional

runtohunt":3izutvi9 said:
SJB358, I can attest to the quality of the Z5. It is hands down my favorite scope. The price tag is a little hard to swallow, but you certainly know where your money went. I had been looking at the Z5 after picking up the STW last January. I decided against it because of the price. Back in April there was a retired fellow with three custom rifles at the range. All three of his rifles had the Z5s with the ballistic turret. He allowed me to look through each of the scopes. I sat down with my Leupolds, all VX3's which I still like, and the Z5s. There was a world of difference. In my opinion, the $700 to $900 dollar difference was clearly evident.
If you can afford it, I think that you owe it to yourself at least once. And it would look really nice on the pre '64 .338! What a classy combo.

Thanks RTH. That's a great view, and I don't plan on buying a ton of them, but I would like to have at least one, on my favorite Model 70. I plan on hunting alot with that rifle as the years go by, so I don't think spending the money will be wasted.

Oldtrader3":3izutvi9 said:
I am going to say something here because I think that even dedicated hunters can get through life without a really expensive scope. I am not knocking expensive scopes, I even have a couple myself that were bought back when I had more disposable income.

I personally, particularly as I get older and my eyes are not as sharp as they were even a few years ago, do not need a $2000 scope for most hunting needs in the field. They are a nice convenience but really are not a necessity for most of us. Now that my eyes are not as good in old age, I do not give these premium optics any favor over mid priced optics the I have on my other guns for practical purposes.

I can for hunting purposes, get along just as well with a Conquest, Older Kahles, Minox or even a VX-3 Leupold for most of my hunting and never know the difference between them and my Diavari Zeiss Victory scope while hunting in the field. I still am able to see the details that I need to see in order to hunt well. Now I do notice the difference in optics much more at the range than in the field hunting but in the field is where it counts, not at the range. Just a thought about "needing " $2000 optics and what is realy needed in the field for practical purposes.

I'm with you Charlie, I have a Z5 2-10 on the 338 right now and it'll stay on it till I can afford the Swaro, so I am not suffering right now. I like the 2-10 and 3x9 Minox's quite alot. I do however wanna equip this rifle for me as the rifle was very special in how I received it and I figure it won't hurt to spend the same amount for the optics as was spent on the rifle. Hopefully, my 338 will look like Bill's 300 in about 50 years. I would hope the scope is still as awesome at that point too.

Scotty, The Z5 is a great scope. I have a AH Swaro 4-12x50 which became the Z3 a few months after I bought mine. It was about $1200 then and I got $200 off because they were switching to the Z3 model designation. I have never regretted buying this scope. It has sat on my .270 Super Grade Mod 70 Custom for most of the past 10 years and that is probably where it will sit for the rest of my days.

Your Alaskan .338 is pretty special to you and for that reason deserves a scope to match, with what ever scope you consider that to be. That rifle is a once in a lifetime type gift and purchase and should have whatever scope you both feel matches the rifle's place in your heart.

Oldtrader3":uv6tazj1 said:
Your Alaskan .338 is pretty special to you and for that reason deserves a scope to match, with what ever scope you consider that to be. That rifle is a once in a lifetime type gift and purchase and should have whatever scope you both feel matches the rifle's place in your heart.

Good advice, Charlie. Well stated.

Back