New son-in-law needs a lefty

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
I have a new son-in-law that wants to start hunting. He is right handed but left eye dominant. He cannot close just one eye so he will have to go with a left handed shooter.

What make and model would you suggest in maybe a 7m-08 or something similar. I will reload for him. I will probably also buy all or most of this rifle since they are still in college and lack funding for toys.

Long

That's quite a nice thing to do for a son-in-law! I'm guessing you get along well?

Anyhoo, since he is new to the shooting/hunting world, might I suggest a Model 70 in 7mm WSM? A Model 70 Super Shadow can be had for $550 or less. That way, he can hunt just about 99% of game in North America.

Other than that, I'd suggest something in a Ruger or Savage - as they have models for even less than that.

Long Winters,

Your son-in-law sounds just like me....right handed, left eye dominent. and I can close my right eye without my left but not vica versa. I thought I was the only one in the world like that :lol: I'm not sure if Savage/Stevens still makes them, but I picked up a Savage 110 in 270 LH model a long time ago. I think they still make lefty models, and I don't think you can beat a SAvage/Stevens for the money. Good choice of calibers too.

Blaine

You have lots of choices. Remington, Winchester, Savage, Browning and several other rifle manufacturers all make left hand bolt action rifles. The 7-08 is a well balanced cartridge and I can't think of a better choice for whitetails.

Thanks for the info guys. Will probably start to look at your suggestions after he and I do a little shooting at the range this spring. I need to see what he can handle and feels comfortable with concerning caliber etc...

Long

Just a quick one for you.
I am a leftie and live in Great Britian where we just dont get the choice of firearms that are available in the States(plus we have pretty tough firearms law). I buy Remmy 700's because they make left handed, they are good value and you can customize them really easily at home, triggers, stocks, replacement parts e.t.c...
Calibre wise, .270 gets my vote, versatile, mild and cheaper to run than my 7mm rem ultra mag!
Hope this is of interest.

I also am a left-handed shooter and used to scurry about finding a rifle due to limited selection. Then I discovered the vast majority of my shooting is at the bench. The right handed action is much better since the action opening is right there only a few inches away. It's an added plus, but I still have a few southpaw rifles on hand. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

I am also a left eye dominant right handed person. The hardest thing is learning to work a bolt with you left hand. I got a Savage 11gl in 7mm-08 for 400.00 with out scope. 7mm-08 can take any game aminal in North America. You can load from 100 grain to 195 grain bullets. The rifle is comfortable to carry and there is almost no recoil, about the same as a 30-30 lever action- IMHO. The only draw back is there is not alot of stores that sell 7mm-08 ammo. You said you reload so it will be easy to get a good load for him that he is comfortable shooting. I think you will have just as much fun loading the ammo for him, maybe you can teach him to load his own. Try the CT ballistic tip or the accubonds, I am going to try the 140 grain accubonds
:grin:

I am another left eye dominant, right hander that shoot sfrom the port side. The choices in left hand bolts seem to go up & down. WInchester offres them...........but is closing shop, finding LH M70s is getting tough. Weatherby used to offer them, but now does not. The stand bys are Remington, Browning, Savage and Ruger. I know Browning used to offer the 7mm-o8 left handed, not sure if they still do.

For the most part, stock rifles left handed are 270, 30-06, 7mm Rem MAg & 300 win mag. I know Ruger now offers the 25-06. Beyong that it seems to change every year.

In the 7mm -08 for stock lh's you are limited to these current run models;
Browning Micro
Savage 16FLSS & 16GL

Now if your willing to consider a 270 or something the selection is larger and includes the Rem 700CDL, Browning Abolt's, Ruger MK77. Weatherby makes lh actions in only a few models and chamberings of 257 wby and 300 wby.

I am too left eye dominant so realize the frustration in acquiring new rifles.

Good luck

Savage 110 in LH model ....and be spoiled by accuracy.

Back