New to loading Barnes TTSX, any suggestions

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
I recently picked up a box of Barnes TTSX 140 gr in .284 on sale. I can reload for the 7-08 and the 7 mag so I figured I would give them a shot. I have never loaded all copper bullets, so I am looking for suggestions. I shot my first group today with a starting load of 44 gr of Staball 6.5 out of the 7-08. I did not chrono but got a a 4 shot group of 1.401 inches and a 3 hot group of 0.835 inches. The recoil felt almost non - existent ( I really do not have an explanation as to why) and I felt like all the shots were good. I followed the suggestions from Barnes regarding seating depth. I feel confident that as I continue to develop the load that I will shrink the group as the rifle has proven to be a shooter. I know Nosler recommends starting with minimum charges to start load development with their ETips so I definitely did the same with the TTSX. What specifics/peculiarities do I need to know about loading all copper bullets? I also have some 180 gr Nosler ETips coming my way so I am trying to learn something new.

Allow plenty of jump to the lands for the most accuracy with the monolithic bullets.

Barnes like to be driven fast and hard..

Maybe try the 7 mag first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the 7-08 use 110gr TTSX. I suggest 120gr TTSX for the 7mag. I would NOT use the 140gr in the 7-08.

Like stated push them fast for better terminal performance and accuracy. Also give them a LOT of bullet jump. Suggest you load them so the top relief groove is just showing or even deeper. Remember a Barnes bullet will act like a lead core bullet 30% heavier---So pick a lighter than other brand/type bullet.
Also if you have shot regular jacketed bullet you need to super clean the barrel. That means no #9. I use Wipe-Out followed by Sweets 7.62 or Barnes CR-10 followed by Butches Bore Shine/Tetra Gun/ shooter Choice or one of the Montana products. Once clean the barnes will not foul the barrel bad. I have a Tikka T-3 Like 7-08 that has about 200 barnes 110gr TTSX over max load of RL15 and still shoots very tiny groups.

Nothing wrong with 140s in the 7/08.... they work well.

They typically shoot best, seated so the neck is centered in the first driving band.

I didn’t mention, sometimes on copper bullets, you have to watch the twist rate.

Barnes is pretty good about putting it on the labels, ie requires 1:10 or faster.
(I’m thinking that’s their requirement on the varmint grenade for 223 caliber).

Seems most of the modern guns are sufficiently twisted.

140 out of a 7mm-08 should be an AccuBond or a Partition.

If you want to try TTSX, drop down to 120. And they like a jump, probably farther than you think.

Nothing wrong with experimentation.

P

The reason that I choose the 140 is that I live in KY and I am going to start putting my son in for the Ky youth elk hunt draw. I want to find a load in the 7-08 that I would feel comfortable letting him shoot at an elk. Shot a group with 45.5 gr of Staball 6.5 and got an average of 2812 fps. The group was 1.5 inch at 100. Accuracy not good enough yet.

excellent info. TTSX is an elk killer.

The comments about driving coppers hard is about expansion.

At 2800 FPS, you’ll get expansion down to about 1800. So Barnes says. (I believe them.. I know they make bullets that will expand at 45/70 speeds(slow).

So get a ballistic calculator( several on line) put in the velocity, 2812fps, bullet weight and ballistic coefficient. The calculator will help you understand what range you’ll get a hit with bullet expansion. In theory, once it drops below 1800 FPS, the bullet will hit and penetrate without expansion. So you can kill with our expansion, just recovery might be harder, longer distance and less blood. Out west, probably not a bit deal as you can see on the plains 100’s of yards. In KY, you could have all kinds of cover.

I think you have it under control and your son, if he gets a tag, he could
Kill an elk and recover the elk with the 7-08 and a 140. I haven’t killed an elk. Maybe someone can comment on shoulder shot with a 140 at 2800 FPS.

I've always had best luck with a long jump, and pushed hard. My 416 rem mag right now is jumping them at I believe 180 thousandths. I also agree that the lighter weight is probably best in the 7mm08. That 140 eats up a good bit of powder space compared to non mono bullets.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ReloadKy":1fu5920o said:
The reason that I choose the 140 is that I live in KY and I am going to start putting my son in for the Ky youth elk hunt draw. I want to find a load in the 7-08 that I would feel comfortable letting him shoot at an elk. Shot a group with 45.5 gr of Staball 6.5 and got an average of 2812 fps. The group was 1.5 inch at 100. Accuracy not good enough yet.

If elk is on the menu allow me to offer some advice. It’s worth exactly what you’re paying for it, but it’s tough to argue with experience.

Buy a box each of 140 grain AccuBonds and Partitions.
Find some Big Game, work up to 47.5 grains. Use a magnum primers. Try for 2880 fps at the muzzle. Adjust OAL for accuracy. Use whichever bullet shoots better.

Then go find an elk. Shoot him behind the shoulder, about 1/3 of the way up.

I’ve killed bulls with this recipe, as did my dad. Big bulls, too.

P

Attachments

• 4A7916F1-9008-4A08-B705-0D0EE1D8A6DA.jpeg
    4A7916F1-9008-4A08-B705-0D0EE1D8A6DA.jpeg
    555.3 KB · Views: 471
Back