New to reloading. 28 nosler

l1pr1pper

Beginner
Jan 6, 2018
So I have been hunting for 22 years now (35 years old) and I'm ready to start dialing in my long range shots 400-600 yards. Up until now I have been shooting a ruger 338 which has served me well but I wasn't comfortable shootin over 300 yards. I did some research and decided on the Christensen arms ridgeline 28 nosler for big game (elk). I've purchased the RCBS press and all the other necessities to reload. Now I'm down to the dies and have decided to go with the Redding competition bushing 3 die neck sizer set. My main question now is which size bushings will I need? Any other information or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Chris

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard. You'll find some knowledgeable people posting here, and most are willing to help. It sounds as if you are securing some excellent materials for hand loading. Perhaps the easiest way to answer your question is to refer you to Redding's FAQ concerning Bushing Selection (http://redding-reloading.com/tech-line-a-tips-faqs/140-bushing-selection). An accurate response to your question is not possible without knowing the size of your chamber. Unfortunately, Redding has not provided a suggested range for your 28 Nosler. I'm certain that a phone call to their Tech Line would provide you with a reasonable suggestion. Again, welcome aboard.

Welcome to the forum. I read that its your first time reloading, I would recommend you get a full sizing set and not mess around with neck sizing until you are more familiar with the basics of reloading because neck sizing does cause some issues in some rifles because you can't bump the shoulders back. There is a Redding Type S full sizer with the bushing and you can bump the shoulders back.

As for the measurement for the bushing, you measure the thickness of a loaded round at the neck and subtract .002" to .003" . If your 28 Nosler does not have a muzzle brake, I recommend you use a .003" smaller bushing so the recoil won't knock the bullets, that is in the magazine, forward. Example, if your loaded round neck is .320, then you want a .317 bushing.

Greatly appreciate the responses and will be getting more info once I get a few factory loads (175ablr) through the barrel. I'm currently looking for a good digital micrometer and figure u guys would have a good brand/model to pickup.

Welcome aboard.

I use the bushing die for my 7mm MSM. With Nosler brass I use a .314” for .003” neck tension. Works like a champ but you will likely need a range of them in order to get it spot on.

A set of pin gauges are REALLY useful and it takes the guess work out of it.

Thanks for the reply Sjb. Could u direct me to a set of pin gauges as I'm still workin on learning all the acronyms and gun talk lingo. Can't thank you guys enough this forums goin to make this whole process run a lot smoother.

No worries. Please ask all the questions you’ve got. We’re all happy to help.

Here is where I got mine

Back