New to reloading question

tatemyers33

Beginner
Feb 6, 2021
Hey all I’ve been introduced to reloading rifle ammunition and was given a lot of starting components by a very generous man who has been swimming in ammo for decades. My question is how do I know what powder to use in my cartridges? I know there are a lot of different brands and types and was wondering how you determine what to buy so you don’t end up with a bunch you don’t really need? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best thing to do is to start off looking in a reloading manual or one of the manufacturer's websites for load data. Not all powders are suitable for all cartridges, but if Nosler, Hodgdon, Hornady or others vendor lists a load for a particular powder in a particular cartridge- you're good to go.

After you're at it a while, you start to associate different powders as a type- like "medium rifle powder" or "magnum pistol powder" and you can sort it out a little better. In the beginning, the manual is the way to go.

There's a very handy app called Reloading Assistant that you can download for free for your phone. It has tons of load data from the various powder manufacturers. I use it all the time. Plus, you can save the load data for your favorite loads for future reference.

Reloading manuals are a good thing to have. I have a funny thing about preferring physical books. They were bargains before this latest panic. Good deals can still be found. Nosler, Sierra, & Lyman manuals note the potentially most accurate loads. These powders are usually a real good place to start.

The first part of these books is also a good read to get a better idea of what you're doing. Hopefully the fellow who got you started will hang out & help you learn safely.

Welcome to the forum. Pull up a chair, enjoy the banter. There's so many great guys on this forum, willing to help.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":3g3ce7dh said:
Welcome to the forum. Pull up a chair, enjoy the banter. There's so many great guys on this forum, willing to help.

Regards, Guy

I like that. PsyOps.... gets em every time :mrgreen:

All kidding. Welcome aboard.

Hopefully he gave you primers, powder, and bullets they are very hard to come by now. Lots of help here, what cartridges will you be loading for?

Welcome aboard. You've received some great advice. The printed manuals, and the data provided by major bullet and/or powder sites, are excellent guides to the choices that will help you. Don't discount trusted sites such as provided by this Nosler site. Without a doubt, most of those posting here can provided you with some sound suggestions when you are casting about for a reasonable powder/bullet combination.

Welcome I'm new to this also. The people on here are amazing. They have answered every question I've had. Made it so this old fart can understand it also.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

What I like best about the Nosler Reloading Manuals is that for each of the calibers listed they show you the most accurate powder they tested as well as the most accurate load for each of the powders listed.

Check it out - you won't be disappointed.

With that said, i have stacks of reloading manuals going back decades...and, most every manual will have a "how to" section in the front.

jjs405":1rphila2 said:
What I like best about the Nosler Reloading Manuals is that for each of the calibers listed they show you the most accurate powder they tested as well as the most accurate load for each of the powders listed..

I will say, that of the times I've loaded the "most accurate" powder and load...the results were phenomenal.

It's where I start, and most likely, end my load development process for hunting ammunition.

Elkman":12991fcm said:
Hopefully he gave you primers, powder, and bullets they are very hard to come by now. Lots of help here, what cartridges will you be loading for?
I am loading 6.5 creedmoor, .30-06, 300 win mag as of now. We just went thru the whole process of using a single stage rock chucker and got some Sierra matchking 142 6.5’s and used 34.2 grains of Hodgdon 4895.

tatemyers33":9a3darlb said:
Elkman":9a3darlb said:
I am loading 6.5 creedmoor, .30-06, 300 win mag as of now. We just went thru the whole process of using a single stage rock chucker and got some Sierra matchking 142 6.5’s and used 34.2 grains of Hodgdon 4895.

That load should work out well. (y)

You've got a nice variety of useful cartridges to work with.

tatemyers33":3no226t6 said:
..... using a single stage rock chucker ....

That's my Go-To press !!! Been my favorite since I was a teen. I use to reload mass quantities, but not anymore & even gave my Dillon 550 away with everything but the dies.

Take care of it & it will last you a lifetime.

Welcome Tate!

Sounds like you have a good setup and material to work with. I use a Rock Chucker for my 6.5 Creedmoor loading.

I try to buy / stock powder that will work for multiple cartridges and or bullet weights, that way if something doesn't pan out I can use it in a different cartridge.

I personally try to work up at least two distinct loads for each rifle I own, that way if I can't source a given bullet, brass or powder I have a backup load already developed. As such I tend to have a lot of powder and bullets on hand that have a lot of usability but aren't really specialized.

For 6.5 Creedmoor and 30-06, I use IMR 4451, Varget and Staball 6.5 in both calibers. These powders tend to be better for light to medium weight bullets. What HodgemanAK would call medium rifle powders. IMR 4451 I use for 165 grain bullets in 30-06, and 130 grain in the 6.5 creedmoor.

For 280 Rem and AI and 30-06, I use IMR 4451, IMR 4831 and H 4831 across calibers. These powders tend to be better for heavier bullets. Like 180 grain bullets in 30-06.

H4895 is a great and versatile powder that can be used in a ton of different cartridges. An easy way to check this is Hodgdon's website. On the product page they will show a listing of all the cartridges that use that powder, once one is selected than they show all the bullets tested in the cartridge - https://shop.hodgdon.com/hodgdon/hodgdon-h4895.

Additionally using their reloading center, you can select the cartridge followed by bullet weight and or the powder - https://shop.hodgdon.com/winchester?rdc ... 1612808627. Both ways allow you to see just how versatile a Hodgdon, IMR or Winchester powder is.

tatemyers33":1sq6gskn said:

That's a nice bevy of cartridges...

I really like H4350 and Superformance in 6.5 and 30-06 and H4831 and Hybrid 100V are excellent in the 300WM.

You've got some very practical and useful cartridges there!

I have a single stage Herters press that was new in the early 60's and still gets the job done, I have been loading for the 300 WM since 75. A wonderful cartridge and great elk hunting cartridge.

Back