New to reloading

Tiny83

Beginner
Jan 10, 2022
I just recently purchased some nosler 28 brass that says it’s fully prepped and I also ordered a bag of 6.5 prc brass that says in prepped.I know it’s probably a stupid question but I’ve looked it all over and all cases have flash holes and seem to be exactly same length so is there anything I need to do ??? New to reloading only have loaded nosler prepped brass so any help appreciated.

I run all new brass through my full length sizing die . this way I know it will chamber without problems . this also makes sure the necks are round , and made to the size of your die . I usually look inside to be sure there is not a big burr around the flash hole .
you could measure the length, I don't , usually new brass is short . other than this it should be good to go .

I had just typed out pretty much point for point what Jim posted. Couldn't agree more. I never trust new brass and like to make sure I'm starting out with them all the same.

As ali mentioned, just run the cases through the FL resizing die and your good to go.

JD338

I usually run them through my expander mandrel to make sure neck tension is set for my use, but other than that, I just run them.

I just recently purchased some nosler 28 brass that says it’s fully prepped and I also ordered a bag of 6.5 prc brass that says in prepped.I know it’s probably a stupid question but I’ve looked it all over and all cases have flash holes and seem to be exactly same length so is there anything I need to do ??? New to reloading only have loaded nosler prepped brass so any help appreciated.
Welcome to the Nosler Reloading Forum!

Seems that you are off to a good start, and don't hesitate to ask. Good group here, willing to share info pleasantly. :)

Regards, Guy

I do things a little differently with new brass. I just neck size the brass for the first loading, I also uniform the primer pockets and the flash holes.

I found I did not need to do anything to the fully prepped Nosler brass. Just prime /charge and seat the bullet.
But that is just me and I get excellent accuracy. The FPS with Nosler is a bit less that with Weatherby/Rem/Win/Fed brass and I get a bit more with Hornady brass. I figure the Nosler has the most volume and the Hornady the least. I do not see high pressures with the Hornady using the exact same load for all brass. I found this to be true in seveal different cartridges that I have both nosler and hornady brass as well as others.

Back