new toy on the way

375hh1973

Beginner
Mar 31, 2007
I just received part of my new summer/fall project today. Always wanted an Encore pistol so I ordered a stainless/syn frame and a stainless fluted 15" barrel in .243 win. I will eventually have several barrels. The reason I went with a .243 is that I have never owned anything in that bore diameter before. I will use this to shoot deer, coyotes, woodchucks, and a lot of paper. Bushnell Elite 2-6x32 will go on top.

Does anyone have experience with an Encore 243? Favorite bullets on deer? From what I have read online a lot of guys prefer 95gr tipped bullets out of the 15" barrel. I have no brass or dies yet so I dont mind shooting some factory stuff first. Hornady makes a 95gr SST superformance load that looks good.

Thanks
Brian

Just got it today. Can't wait to get a day off and see what it will do. I should be able to kill a deer out to at least 17 yards!

Encore .243.jpg

My Contender is in 243, so similar. It shoots cheap Winchester Super-X 100gr ammo very well. I find that having a good scope is the key to accuracy as the pistol (aka mini-rifle) is extremely accurate. I removed the scope that was on it when purchased and installed one now that is parralax adjustable. It makes a difference for those 200 yard shots!

Enjoy!

Good luck with the .243 it is a nice caliber. A 15" .243 barrel was my first barrel on my Encore before I went to a 15" .260 Rem barrel. I could not get the heavier .243 bullets to stabilize to my satisfaction in the short barrel due to the slow rate of twist.

It has been so long I do not remember the specifics, but I do remember shooting one whitetail doe and it was very effective. Good Luck. Rol

Very cool pistol. I'd like to have one of those one of these days..

Good looking set up. The accuracy with the Contenders has been pleasantly surprising to me. You'll probably be amazed what the Encore will do with a good rest.

Back