New Toy

wildgene":120mx638 said:
...dang nice score, but now you need a hat like BK's...

purple%20pimp%20hat.png

:shock: :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:

Had no idea Kurt let his hat out of his sight. :grin:

Nice rifle! Nicer thread. Wish I would have met the smith did work for my Dad. Dad was always impressed with his work and knowledge. Something lost when they are gone. The man bent and re-tmpered a bolt on Dads 6.5 Jap that that would make Winchester jealous. CL

wildgene":3d5eyakq said:

purple%20pimp%20hat.png

Hey, man what happened to the feather?

BK":16k1nfct said:
wildgene":16k1nfct said:

purple%20pimp%20hat.png

Hey, man what happened to the feather?

Gene's a fan dancer on weekends. It's possible he forgot to give it back.

SJB358":1s95br4f said:
Very nice 300WM.. That looks like it is going to be fun!

257 Ackley is going to really dig that rifle.

Sounds like an awesome smith though.

:mrgreen: :grin: You know me too well Scott...
Congrats on a great rifle. You saved huge $$ over what it would cost to build that rifle from scratch with the action used. Good choice on bullet selection as well...good luck finding them :roll: You better start watching every internet store out there on a daily basis. When someone gets them in, they are usually gone within an hour.

257 Ackley":1e2a8ees said:
SJB358":1e2a8ees said:
Very nice 300WM.. That looks like it is going to be fun!

257 Ackley is going to really dig that rifle.

Sounds like an awesome smith though.

:mrgreen: :grin: You know me too well Scott...
Congrats on a great rifle. You saved huge $$ over what it would cost to build that rifle from scratch with the action used. Good choice on bullet selection as well...good luck finding them :roll: You better start watching every internet store out there on a daily basis. When someone gets them in, they are usually gone within an hour.

Was fortunate enough to find 500 of them on sinclairs website last week and snatched them up. Haven't been able to find any since then though.

Guy Miner":3fxukrgo said:
Very cool thread in several ways.

Congrats on the new rifle, it should prove to be a tack-driver!

Does BK know you've got one of his stocks? :mrgreen:

A lot of rifle buffs don't get this - but buying a used match rifle is often an OUTSTANDING way to get a REALLY accurate rifle at a bargain price. I've seen rifles that should go for $2,000, sold for $600 - $800, particularly if it helps someone get into competition shooting. If anyone buys a good used match rifle, consider buying all the dies, brass and even loaded ammo if available... Might as well start where the last owner left off.

Re F-Class, I've seen some 6mm BR rifles dish out some absolutely incredible accuracy in F-Class/Prone matches. Like almost all the shots in a string of 20 actually hitting the spotter, not just the X-ring... Wow! Accuracy potential of a 6BR, or the 6mm PPC, is phenomenal.

I like and understand your thoughts about your gunsmith. The fellow who built my "Green Machine" was never real close with me, though I respect him tremendously, and he's retired. Next barrel for it will be chambered, threaded and crowned by someone else. Doggone it.

Best of luck with the new rifle. It should be very satisfying to shoot, though I dunno 'bout that purple stock.... :wink:

Regards, Guy

Thanks Guy, excellent advice as well for those looking to get in to competition shooting! I agree 100%.

Your "Green Machine" is a tack driver, it is a shame the original smith is not rebarreling it. However, I have no doubt that it will shoot any less when it's rebarreled. I like that rifle a lot, and I'm sure you like it more than I. :mrgreen:

Guy Miner":vjis55pg said:
Very cool thread in several ways.

Congrats on the new rifle, it should prove to be a tack-driver!

Does BK know you've got one of his stocks? :mrgreen:

A lot of rifle buffs don't get this - but buying a used match rifle is often an OUTSTANDING way to get a REALLY accurate rifle at a bargain price. I've seen rifles that should go for $2,000, sold for $600 - $800, particularly if it helps someone get into competition shooting. If anyone buys a good used match rifle, consider buying all the dies, brass and even loaded ammo if available... Might as well start where the last owner left off.

Re F-Class, I've seen some 6mm BR rifles dish out some absolutely incredible accuracy in F-Class/Prone matches. Like almost all the shots in a string of 20 actually hitting the spotter, not just the X-ring... Wow! Accuracy potential of a 6BR, or the 6mm PPC, is phenomenal.

I like and understand your thoughts about your gunsmith. The fellow who built my "Green Machine" was never real close with me, though I respect him tremendously, and he's retired. Next barrel for it will be chambered, threaded and crowned by someone else. Doggone it.

Best of luck with the new rifle. It should be very satisfying to shoot, though I dunno 'bout that purple stock.... :wink:

Regards, Guy

+2. If I see a used rig in the right setup and caliber, I will pounce.

Back