New Youth Rifle

chrispbrown27

Beginner
Sep 12, 2011
I have decided that I need to invest in a new rifle for next season. The best part of deer season to me is taking out the kids. I set a rule from the beginning that they had to be 13 before I would take them. First my nephew, then a friends son and next year both my daughter and my youngest nephew will be 13. As it is right now I have two rifles....simply not enough for everyone I will be taking. This is what I am looking for: wood stock (synthetic on a rifle should be illegal!) with an internal magazine. Calibers: 6mm remington, 7mm-08, 25-06 are the ones I am most interested in. More than likely a bolt action is what I will look for, but have thought of a semi-auto. The problem is that all the youth rifles these days either have very limited calibers, are synthetic stocked and finding a rifle with an internal magazine isn't easy these days. Brand doesn't matter too much as long as it isn't going to break the bank. Used is definitely something I could live with, but it's sometimes hard to find a specific rifle.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Both Winchester and Remington make youth rifles. Remington has the Model 7 chambered in some youth-friendly cartridges; and Winchester markets the Model 70 Featherweight Compact in some youth-friendly chamberings. I definitely do like wood. However, I wouldn't pass up a good laminate if the stock was attractive. Savage has marketed a good looking compact rifle with a laminate stock in the past, as has Tikka. Shouldn't be too difficult to find one of those.

What I did is buy a full size Wby Vanguard (243 in this case) and restock it. Many youth rifles have 20 inch barrels rather than 24, and since I can swap stocks but not add barrel length as they get older I didn't see any reason to go short on that end. It has a nice satin full size stock for the future or if I want to use it myself. Nicely, it's accurate with either stock so I can just swap the stocks and go.

You can even buy a stock of your choice from Boyd's, have it cut to the length you want and/or have a Pachmayr Decelerator pad installed, and have a great wood stock.

Ruger makes a M77 Hawkeye in a Compact model...walnut stock, blued steel, 12.5" LOP, 16.5" carbine length barrel.

In several short action cartridges. 223, 243, 7-08, 308..my kid would have one if he weren't left eye dominant and shooting southpaw. I've become a huge fan of the 7-08 as a low recoil option for kids and other recoil sensitive types.

http://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeCompact/models.html

Any opinions on Howa rifles? I see they have a youth package with a scope and it comes with an adult stock for them to grow into. What about Nikko Stirling scopes? I have heard the name but not heard a thing about quality.

The howa rifles I have seen are all accurate and reliable guns.

The ruger compacts are nice and rugers are good shooters.

It will be hard to find a wood stock in youth size.

I know it's not on your list but a Marlin 336Y is hard to beat in 30/30 for the young ones. Short, light, reliable, cheap factory ammo, 150-200yd range and very effective.

Howa makes a fine rifle. Their youth rifle would be a good snag for you.

I share your preference for a wood stock. Heres a thought, Boyds will sell you a wood stock for an Axis. I saw a used Axis on the rack for 250 bucks, at Cabelas no less. Remington770's etc might be an option as well. CL

Don't overlook a Browning BLR either. Quite a few young shooter friendly cartridges.

Plus they will work for right or left handed shooters.

I have a pair of Tikka T3s in 6.5 Swede and a few extra Tikka wood stocks. When my boys are ready, I will cut down a stock to fit them. Have enough stock to make various lengths.

The Swede will be a nice caliber for them to begin with and for the most part use until they get "magumimitize" like the rest of us. Maybe eventually they will settle back into a Swede when they get older and wiser

Also have a remington M7 in 7mm-08 with an adult and youth stock. Another great option

Back