"Newly" Acquired Win M70 in 7mm Mauser (.275 Rigby)

I had a fwt .243 when I was a kid. My dad foolishly traded a pre-64 in 300 H&H for it, but we were broke and he wanted me to have my own rifle. It was wrong handed for me and also had feed issues we always attributed to being a short case in a long action. It would just fold them up. Terrible. It went back to Winchester twice and to at least one smith. No one fixed it. Absolutely gorgeous piece of wood on it though and nice to carry. I traded it off for a lefty 700 but it was a bittersweet moment.

HAWKEYESATX":2vs9fdrx said:
gerry":2vs9fdrx said:
You sure know how to find them Hawk! The Featherweight's from that era are the nicest they made in my opinion and there can't be too many 7x57's either out there. Load some bullets from 140-160 and you'll be good to go.
Thank you Gerry!
Yes, this year, has been quite nice for me to get the rifles I've been wanting for a while now.
I'm getting my bucket list rifles way pre- bucket list.
I've been looking for this one, or a 6.5x55 Swede M70 FW for over 30 yrs now.
I'm thinking this one is going to be a shooter as well.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk
I actually has one of the feather weights in 6.5x55 and like a fool I let it go. Maybe one day I can grab another one

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

gbflyer":3l7ceth6 said:
I had a fwt .243 when I was a kid. My dad foolishly traded a pre-64 in 300 H&H for it, but we were broke and he wanted me to have my own rifle. It was wrong handed for me and also had feed issues we always attributed to being a short case in a long action. It would just fold them up. Terrible. It went back to Winchester twice and to at least one smith. No one fixed it. Absolutely gorgeous piece of wood on it though and nice to carry. I traded it off for a lefty 700 but it was a bittersweet moment.
Sorry to hear about the rifles.
I can relate.
The long action rifles usually had problems magazine springs tilting, and causing feeding problems with short cartridges.

Hawk

Cleveland48":1hjdiwyl said:
HAWKEYESATX":1hjdiwyl said:
gerry":1hjdiwyl said:
You sure know how to find them Hawk! The Featherweight's from that era are the nicest they made in my opinion and there can't be too many 7x57's either out there. Load some bullets from 140-160 and you'll be good to go.
Thank you Gerry!
Yes, this year, has been quite nice for me to get the rifles I've been wanting for a while now.
I'm getting my bucket list rifles way pre- bucket list.
I've been looking for this one, or a 6.5x55 Swede M70 FW for over 30 yrs now.
I'm thinking this one is going to be a shooter as well.

Hawk

I actually has one of the feather weights in 6.5x55 and like a fool I let it go. Maybe one day I can grab another one

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yeah, I feel you. I've been there too.
I don't remember the reason I've done that in the past, but several years pass, and I'm like, man, I shouldn't have done that, to myself.
The 6.5 Swedes don't come up often, but they will.

Hawk

Congrats on a fine rifle and a fantastic caliber. Im sure you'll get some great use and make many memories with it.
3 Years ago, my dad gifted me one of these in the same chambering. Since then its gotten its fair share of use. Ive developed several loads for it, but for whitetail deer, the best thing that has worked for me has been a Nosler 120gr Ballistic Tip and 45grs of Varget in Norma Brass. Ive also had great success from the Sierra 140gr Game King and H4350.
H414, IMR 4350, and Reloader 15 have all also shot very well for me with different bullets.

Here's a pic of the gun with a couple of does from 2018 season. The load I was using was the 120gr Ballistic Tip / Varget load.
NJasbL.jpg

That's outstanding!
Congratulations on the same rifle!
Can't argue with success.

Hawk

Congrats on the new rifle. Great cartridge. I have a Mauser 98 in 7x57 but it was throated for 175 rn bullets and just refused to shoot pointed bullets so I rebarreled it. It now shoots .3 with Barnes 120 gr tsx and reloder 16. It also liked reloder 17, H414, and h100v powders. It has since taken a number of deer.

Seabee":3qtenfdq said:
Congrats on the new rifle. Great cartridge. I have a Mauser 98 in 7x57 but it was throated for 175 rn bullets and just refused to shoot pointed bullets so I rebarreled it. It now shoots .3 with Barnes 120 gr tsx and reloder 16. It also liked reloder 17, H414, and h100v powders. It has since taken a number of deer.
That's outstanding!
The Mauser rifle I had, I was hoping to sporterize.
Glad you were able to keep yours.
I love the M70, and the 7x57!

Hawk

Great rifle! My buddy has the same rifle in the same chambering as a safe queen that I've admired more than once. That or a 7-08 seems like a good fit for the Winchester FWT, but the 7x57 is classic.

ShadeTree":2lyt5h0y said:
Great rifle! My buddy has the same rifle in the same chambering as a safe queen that I've admired more than once. That or a 7-08 seems like a good fit for the Winchester FWT, but the 7x57 is classic.
Thank you!
Yes, I quite agree with you.
They are classics!

Hawk

Very nice rifle! I wouldn't mind adding one of those to my collection. I've got a couple of 7x57's that I haven't been able to take hunting yet.... but someday soon hopefully. 1895 Chilean on the left and Ruger 77 in the middle. The one on the right is my son's 7mm-08.
b2f2fd70dfae94b89d8cc2e85d2ca462.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

akpls":14zz8z1d said:
Very nice rifle! I wouldn't mind adding one of those to my collection. I've got a couple of 7x57's that I haven't been able to take hunting yet.... but someday soon hopefully. 1895 Chilean on the left and Ruger 77 in the middle. The one on the right is my son's 7mm-08.
b2f2fd70dfae94b89d8cc2e85d2ca462.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Those are very nice looking rifles!
You know that your rifles are just begging to go hunting, don't you?!? LOL

Hawk

Back