NOSLER - Anything New for the 45-70?

What are you thinking, something in the 350gr-400gr PT?
This would really up the performance for the 45-70, making
it a real thumper.

Regards,

JD338

Yup.....anything more than the between 300-500 grains would be nice. You know, just for some variety.

I have asked this before and there stickin to the 300 grain. :cry:

A 350 grain Nosler would be the ticket in the 45-70 and be real competition to the 350 Swift A-Frame and the 350 North Fork not to mention the 350 Woodleigh.With the 45-70 Cowboy version(26 inch barrel) and the new XLR(24 inch),The velocities exceed the recommended velocities for the 300 grain PP(700/2300 fps) in the 22 inch+ barrels which put it in the 2400/2500 fps range.A good 350 grain Partition made for 2200+ fps would be great addition to the premiums already out there.

Jayco

Hi Pop-I am in the process of re-doing it because I scoped my Guide Gun.Depending on brass used,My first load was 57 grains of RL-7 in Winchester brass for 2300 fps in 70 degree temp and 2068 fps in 45/50 degree weather.

I use Starline brass now and I expect about 54+ grains for about the same velocity in Starline with the 300 grain Nosler PP.The capacity difference between Winchester and Starline is about 2.6 grains when filled to the top and wiped off with powder and in test with the 350 grain Hornady,I loaded 51 grains of H-4198 in Winchester brass and got 1996 fps then loaded 48.4 in Starline Brass and got 2006 fps.About as close as one can get.

Just waiting for warmer weather to work up the Nosler in Starline Brass and know for sure what the difference is between the two brass's and the Nosler bullet.2300 fps in a Guide Gun is about Max in my opinion even though Rick Jaimeson took the 300 Nosler to 2330 fps in the .450 Marlin Guide gun and also with RL-7 and 2488 fps in a 24 inch test barrel at only 40,600 PSI.

Sure would like to see a 350 grain Nosler,though! :lol:

Jayco

Would be nice, but I can live with the 300 gr.

Hey Jaycocreek,

Remember Coyotehunter from the old Marlin Talk forum. He felt the 300 grain PT was adequate for elk, and I got impression that he had the experience to back it up. I'm not sure of the need for a 350, but if I was to get drawn for a moose in Maine, I would order up some of the North Fork 350s. That would be the first round out of the gun. The rest of the barrage would be CP 405 WFNGC's, with the assumption that these would be "Texas heart shots". I think we might better be served by a 400 grain Partition than a 350, but the market would be too limited to be profitable for a big company like Nosler (of course, if they were feeling charitable, I'd buy a box or two). I'm very greatful for the 300, it makes the 1895 a first-class deer gun.

Happy hunting,

Remember Coyotehunter from the old Marlin Talk forum. He felt the 300 grain PT was adequate for elk, and I got impression that he had the experience to back it up.

If 1 or 2 Elk in a lifetime is experience,then I guess he has it.His last bash of the Nosler PP was on the temp forum saying it was a poorly constructed bullet and to light.Some people with typing skills make things sound different than they really are.Sometimes I think he does it just to get me going.

The fact is the 300 Nosler PP out penetrated all other .458 bullets for the levergun by over 8" and the next was the 300 grain Barnes XFN folowed by the 400 Grain Swift A-Frame,all fired at Max velocities.I have used the Nosler in .270 and .300 Win Mag on Elk and the reults with the Nosler are far better than any other bullet I have used and that includes most of the older ones.There was know comparison to immediate results compared to the Nosler.

The internet is a funny place and untill 3 years ago I had never been on it nor typed in 40 years and I find the guy's that make a living off the computer as some do, have a gift for wording things to sound like they have done it all when they have not.40+ years of logging and living in Idaho's backcountry,I have learned what is true and what isn't and there is no substitute for actual experience or hands on rather than what the gun rags say or how a bullet is supposed to look after the kill.I don't recover many Noslers and I think that about says it all for the Nosler in any caliber.

Maybe next time you should ask just what his experience on Elk is?I have. :lol: Don't get me wrong,I like him but he just doesn't like and has never used the Nosler on Elk,so how would he know?I have many times and so has my Dad and His Dad and my neighbor who scores atleast one every year as a retired logger and with the 25-06.The Nosler just works.And don't forget this reply I got from Randy Garrett when he was going to use the 300 Nosler in his 45-70 ammo line and I heard on the old Marlin Talk it out-penetrated the .375...I e-mailed him and ask because I don't listen to rumors..His reply

Yes Sir, in our tests the .458" 300-grain Nosler fired at 2150-fps outpenetrated the .375" 300-grain Nosler as fired from the 375 Holland & Holland.

Best regards, Randy Garrett

Jayco

Back