Nosler Brass Problem

deerndingo

Beginner
Mar 31, 2006
G'dday All from Australia, :)
I bought two boxes of Nosler 22-250 brass a while ago (number inside box - 95359535628 & FC13B11) When I loaded in some Nosler 52gr Shot & 55gr BTs I get a fine wire of copper stripped from the bottom of the round. I take great care to get the projectile straight before I insert it. All of the the rounds I loaded did same.

It's only a very light peice of copper that is sheared of, but when you are spinning the projectile at over 200 000 rpm :shock: that light bit of copper becomes very heavy and can effect accuracy.

I emailed Nosler a while ago about it. They asked me to email them a photo and I did, but they must be very busy because they haven't emailed me back. :(

I have since fired all the rounds and reloaded. I don't get that problem when I reloaded them because I chamfered them.

My questions are:

1. Do you all get that with new Nosler brass, and
2. Should I chamfer any new Nosler brass I get.

I chamfer all new brass before loading it, Lapua, Winchester...

If I don't I get the same problem you describe.

FWIW, Guy

Always chamfer before loading new cases and after trimming. They may have been chamfered by Nosler but cases in transport bump into each other and ding the necks.Rick.

Guy and Rick are spot on.
I always run my brass theough the sizing die, square up the mouth and chamfer before I begin loading up.

JD338

Guy and Rick are spot on.
I always run my brass theough the sizing die, square up the mouth and chamfer before I begin loading up.

JD338

G'ddayAll,
Thanks for your answers. At $105 for 100 cases i would not have thought I needed to chamfer, size and true the necks. That's not a good add for Nosler.

But thanks for the answers.

You are paying higher prices mainly due to your location. Regardless of the price you pay for brass, there are certain requirements of the loader that you are ignoring. Knocking the brass for something you did not feel necessary????? Like buying an expensive car and thinking it should not need any care. That little peel of jacket material will not effect your group size.Rick.

deerndingo, you're welcome. I haven't ordered any Nosler yet, but expect to be the same quality as the Lapua I do order, so I'll treat it the same. Personally, I don't bother to resize Lapua, but since it comes bulk-packed, I do expect some neck deformation and therefore run the neck expander ball down into it slightly to ensure the mouth is round and for seating to start smoothly. Good luck.

Jaywalker

Back