Noslers Downrange this Morning!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
:grin:

Another great "Monday Gun Day" with my youngest son John. He drove us to the club, less than ten minutes, and we practiced with our:

6mm Rem 700 BDL, 3.5-10x, 95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 46.9 grains of Ramshot Hunter. It's shooting well.

25-06 Rem 700 CDL, 6x, 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 57.5 grains of Hodgdon Retumbo. It too is shooting well.

Then the 22's! John had his old Ruger 10/22 and I had my Marlin 39A with a Skinner peep sight.

Almost all of our shooting today, centerfire and rimfire, was from sitting or standing. John did take a few shots with his 6mm on the bench to confirm the zero. We had a blast! Shot the gong at 100 yards repeatedly with the 6mm & 25-06, then I had fun shooting it with my 22 Marlin.

Not only are we getting some good practice, we're enjoying the heck out of our regular practice sessions - almost every week for a couple of months now. Here's some photos from today's practice:

The old 6mm Remington 700:
U7RK6OCl.jpg

John, sitting & standing:
1qbvWucl.jpg

8EJHIh1l.jpg

Me, standing with the Marlin:
7ezoAc4l.jpg

Grinning after hitting the 100 yard gong:
h0VygbKl.jpg

2mFgeOYl.jpg

Yup, another Monday Gun Day father-son firearms training session complete! (y)

Regards, Guy

Sounds like y’all had a great time.

What kind of groups are you getting with that 25-06?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

About 3/4" groups at 100 yards. I don't shoot a lot of groups with it... Anymore I mostly just shoot the steel gongs at 100, 200 and 300 then go hunting with it. It does real well. About a dozen mule deer, two pronghorn antelope, some coyotes and some rockchucks over the years. The 25-06 keeps me smiling.

PD3iag1l.jpg

Well done Guy.
Looks like a great way to spend a Monday morning.

JD338

Guy,
Good on you guys! It's great to see you all getting out and always love seeing pictures of you 700s in the field.
V/R,
Joe

Is that an old Carhartt vest with a collar? I need one! Guy, I admire your photos, writing, and time teaching. I have made my own blue/gray cyclones following your advice. Got a nice freezer pronghorn buck at 200 yds., moving steadily, but not really running. Swung with him and held in front about a foot. Centered the shoulder blade. All this with my son watching. "You shot him while he was moving?" "How did you know how much to lead?" " Well, son, back when you were only a twinkle in Dad's eye, they used to pay for jackrabbits. I had my 7x57 and a pile of cheap bullets. I got a lot of practice in on moving things. When I settled in on him, I didn't have to come up with a firing solution, the old long term memory just kicked in."

It's a nice vest, about 10 years old now. It's made in China, labeled Sorel. :(

Great shot on the pronghorn!

Guy

Enjoyed the post. Looks like you had the range all to yourselves. Closest range here is about 12 miles away so I just plink away at 100 yards in the back yard. The only time I visited the community range there were some big egos on site and it didn’t make for a good atmosphere.
I appreciate you taking the time to post and share the load data that is working for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cleveland48":1zbxovoh said:
Looks like an awesome day Guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks! It was one of quite a few "Monday Gun Day" practice sessions we enjoyed this year.

Was pretty cool, stalking the young buck with my son, then watching him make a quick kill, just like he'd practiced. (y)

I ended up not using the 25-06 this year, used the 30-06 instead. Either way was fine with me.

Regards, Guy

Back