Oh man, what have I done now?

shoots_5":qurh8793 said:
Another helpful hint, is think of wind like water. Try to picture your terrain from a birds eye view and think if I poured water into this terrain from this direction what would it make it do? Wind will do the same thing over terrain. Just because the prevailing wind is coming from one direction, it doesn't mean that the canyon you are shooting over, or that tree line break halfway to your target isn't redirecting it...and then you'll start to get into updrafts and downdrafts and get really tied up in knots! I think of wind reading as a life long class that I'll probably never master, but hopefully will continually improve.

You are spot on with the terrain thought. I shot a match on Sunday and my spotter said you could watch the vapor trail of the bullet change course going from open space( first 200 yards) to the tree lined last 400 yards of the course. Mirage will tell you a lot about what the wind is doing as well if you put your spotting scope a little out of focus when you are looking down range at your target. For hunting purposes, you have to look at objects like tree/grass movement and know what it takes to move them. You also need to use the prevailing wind direction to tell you what is coming. Don't watch what has gone by already.

I heard about a lady that shoots competitively who shoots bare-footed. She claims that the bottom of her feet will give her more info on wind changes or pick-ups than any flag will tell her. Whatever works for you... :shock: :roll:

257 Ackley":klxk2a5z said:
I heard about a lady that shoots competitively who shoots bare-footed. She claims that the bottom of her feet will give her more info on wind changes or pick-ups than any flag will tell her. Whatever works for you... :shock: :roll:

They would disqualify me for shooting without shoes on! Imagine all the square footage I would have to catch the wind, plus, the poor guy down wind would be sucking hind teet! HA! :lol:

The wind!

Keep shooting! In about 50 years you'll think you've learned a thing or two....only to get embarrassed!

Back