OK so I am addicted to Rimfires.

Larry in SD

Handloader
Nov 8, 2004
First up is an old friend that returns home once again. I had shot this Rifle for a couple years and then a good friend talked me out of it. When I bought this Rifle originally I had done quite a bit of work to it (Free Floated the Barrel, Shimmed the Barrel to Receiver Fit, and done a complete Trigger Job on it, so since I acquired it back again there wasn't really much to do.

I did however have the barrel shortened and recrowned. Bob my cousin's husband has a Brownells crowning tool and Bob pays great attention to detail and does a fantastic job. Once that was done I thoroughly cleaned the bore and went to shootint it.

RugerK7722VBZ.jpg

When I bought this Ruger back it had a new 4.5x14x40mm Mueller APV Riflescope on it. This is probably one of the better buys out there today in a low cost scope. It has fully multicoated lenses and the AO eliminates parallax down to 10 meters. At our Indoor Shooting Range (a good test of a scope under the artificial lighting) it is every bit as crisp & clear as my Weaver V-16, and actually a bit brighter.

Since I mainly bought this rifle to be used as a hunting rifle I promptly zeroed it with Remington BULK Hollow Points. I was rewarded with 5 shot one hole groups with the hole being about 30 caliber. I then shot a USBR Target with the .100" 10 Ring and managed a 245 out of 250. I think I am ready for shootin Gophers.

The other .22 I have been working on is my Ruger 10/22. I had previously shortened and recrowned the barrel (removing the front sight in the process) and had done a complete action / trigger job on it. I had then set it in a TAPCO T-6 Stock that I had modified further to make it feel more like my AR-15's.

Well that just wasn't cutting it so I decided to sell the modified TAPCO T-6 Stock and start over. I ordered a Nordic Components AR-22 Aluminum Receiver Chassis Kit, a Stoner AR-15 Buffer Tube & 6 Position Collapsable Buttstock and a DPMS Vented Carbine Length Aluminum Free Float Tube. I had an extra AR-15 A2 Pistol Grip laying around so I used that).

In addition to the stock upgrade I also did another barrel modification. This modification wasn't to enhance accuracy so much but rather to change the appearance of the barrel. A buddy had given me a Green Mountain Aero Barrel Shroud. Green Mountain makes a special lightweight barrel that is machined to accept these barrel shrouds to give the lightweight barrel the appearance of a Bull Barrel without the weight.

To fit the Green Mountain Aero Barrel Shroud to my shortened factory barrel my machinist buddy chucked my barrel (removed from the receiver) into his lathe and we had to machine down the diameter of the barrel immediately in front of the v block dovetail in the barrel to the proper diameter so the Green Mountain Aero Barrel Shroud would slip over my factory barrel. Basically we milled down about 2" of the barrel to get the Green Mountain Aero Barrel Shroud would slip over my factory barrel. Once that was done we simply drilled & tapped 3 holes around the circumfrence of the barrel (and shroud) and put in 3 - 6x40TPI screws to hold the barrel shroud to the barrel.

CustomAR-22.jpg

The end result is that this Ruger / Nordic Components AR-22 now looks and feels more like an AR than my previous TAPCO T-6 Stock did. Yeah I could have just bought a Ruger SR-22, but what fun would that have been. Besides I had this 10/22 Barrel Action already modified and tweaked a bit and didn't want to start over.

These two Rimfires are in addition to these listed below:

CustomRuger7722-1.jpg

About a year ago I built the above Rifle. I started with a Ruger K77/22RP and promptly sold the factory barrel & stock. I replaced the Barrel & Stock with a Clark Custom Guns 20" Stainless-Steel Bull Barrel and a Volquartsen Custom Laminated Wood Stock (that I have reshaped a bit and refinished). I also had to get the bottom metal (trigger guard and magazine liner from a Ruger K77/22VBZ to covert this action from a Synthetic Stock to the Laminated Wood Stock, and hand polished the Target Grey Finish off so it matched the shiney stainless-steel of my barrel & action). I then massaged the trigger until I have it breaking like a glass rod at 1 1/4 pounds. Lastely my gunsmith drilled & tapped a hole in the trigger support stirrup for an overtravel screw.

RugerMKIIFastFire.jpg

Above is a very special to me Ruger MKII Stainless-Steel 5 1/2" Bull Barrel. This Ruger was bought originally by my late brother, and I purchased it from my sister in law after my brothers passing. Since it was such a special gun to me I decided it needed some special touches. I added the following:
Clark Custom Guns Steel Ruger Trigger
Volquartsen Custom Target Sear
Volquartsen Custom Extended Bolt Release
Volquartsen Custom Volthane Target Grips
On Target Guns Blast Shield
Burris Fastfire Electronic Red Dot Holographic Sight with the Burris Ruger Mount

In addition I also hand polished the factory Ruger Hammer for a really crisp trigger pull & feel.

RugerMKIII2245.jpg

Last but not least is a Ruger MKIII 22/45 4" Bull Barrel, again one I customized a bit to suit my needs. First up was the grip modification. We started by machining off the raised / checkered portions of the grip frame that are supposed to simulate grip panels. Once this area was milled down flat 4 holes were then drilled into the Polymer Grip Frame and 1911 Grip Screw Bushings were installed. After all that was done it was a simple matter of attaching Hogue Rubber, Finger Groove 1911 Grips.

In addition I added the following items:
Clark Custom Guns Steel Ruger Trigger (added since this photo was taken)
Volquartsen Custom Target Sear
On Target Guns Blast Shield
HiViz Fiber Optic Front Sight

In addition I also hand polished the factory Ruger Hammer for a really crisp trigger pull & feel.

Yep I have always been fond of Rimfires. Part of this is at times I am a 56 year old kid that never grew up, but more to the point is there is an Indoor Shooting Range for .22 LR Rifles & Handguns about 5 blocks from my house.

Larry

Yep! Rimfires are simply fun! No explanation needed. All of us come home eventually.

Rimfires are fun indeed. I still have my first rifle, Sears (Win M190) semi auto as well as a Remington M541HB and a S&W K22 that was my grandfathers.

JD338

Been having fun shooting my CZ 452 American lately in 22LR. It's good fun and I can shoot at indoor range for a couple hours when the weather is freezing outside. My girlfriend also enjoys shooting her Savage MK II with me when we can fit a little time in to go shoot.

Back