Old Savage

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006

Not at all new to me.... Have had it most of my life. Just something I don't use often. I think that might change...

Guy

I’m guessing a 300 Savage? That thing looks like its begging to get out there and kill stuff. Just get some 125-150gr partitions and run the 2600+ fps. Those savage 99s are one of the coolest hunting rifles out there.

I've got one of those as well. It was my grandfathers. It's one of those rifles I need to get out and shoot a little more as well. Love those M99's.

I have two Savage 99 rifles. There are more than a dozen in the family.

Mine are .300 Savage and .308 WCF calibers. I shoot 150s in the .300 and 180s in the .308 and both have brought home more than their share of game over the years.

Let us know how she shoots when you get her to the range!

Thanks for sharing -

Dale

This one is actually a .22 Hi Power, 70 gr bullet at about 3,000 fps.

Difficult to source ammo. I have a couple of boxes and might have a lead on a set of dies.

Interestingly, the rifle barrel can be quickly changed out for a .410 shotgun barrel!

It's only a single shot with the shotgun barrel attached, but the ol' brass rotary mag works fine with the .22 Hi Power ammo.

Guy

I've got an M99 in the "featherweight" 308. Was my Dad's, and he gave it to me as my first deer/elk rifle in '74. Took it out of the safe yesterday, put a few rounds thru it with my daughter, and we'll chase whitetail with it this weekend. I don't often buy/sell rifles, but it's the one rifle that will NEVER get sold.

The 99 happens to be on my list of "must own" rifles. Would love to find one in .358 that wouldn't break the bank.

I had one gifted to me and I put it in the safe to I wouldn't mess it up and one day I got it out to clean and check for rust and found the stock was broken in the wrist side panels. I repaired it with Accur-glass and a wood pin for extra strength. Loaded up some 308s 150gr and shot it to see if it would stay together which it did since there was more glass than wood in the wrist though you couldn't see it since it was all internal. I showed my handy work on a Savage collectors forum and was offered more than I thought it was worth and sold it. I'm not sorry I did because I could use the open sights due to a astigmatism in my right eye and couldn't clear up the sights to focus right even with glasses. SO someone in Florida got a nice rifle.

Huh - what do you know - looks like a set of loading dies have been located and are on the way!

Wow! (y)

Guy

Very cool Guy, that gun would be fun to work with. I have read that some off those guns actually do well with standard .224" bullets, even better than the .227" Hornady. Looking forward to seeing how it all works out for you, maybe you will even be able to get a deer or pronghorn with it one day.

What was the name of that Missionary in China that shot the man eating tiger? He used the 22 HiPower. When I was in Namibia, '98, we were out in the middle of nowhere on a big Farm. We were hunting gemsbuck and Springbuck. At the farmhouse, I found a loaded round for a 22 Hi Power! I figured some Afrikaner biltong hunter had brought it on a hunt.

Yeah - apparently the .22 Hi-Power enjoyed a short period when it was used on big, dangerous game. Like tiger.

These days, I think of it as a near ballistic match for the .223 or .22-250, and I'd anticipate it being effective for pretty much the same kinds of game. Adequate for deer, where legal, and great on smaller game like coyotes & such. But that's just a supposition. I've never even hunted with it.

Gerry - yes - I've read an article that said the .22 Hi-Power did real well with .224" bullets, despite them being "undersized" for the barrel. I intend on finding out!

Guy

The 22 Hi Power like the 22 Hornet would shoot different diameter bullets. The Hornet was designed for the .223" bullet but shot .224" bullets exceptionally well. I had a model 43 Winchester that accounted for many a varmint and few animals that were larger. :mrgreen:

Guy Miner":1lq52u0m said:

Not at all new to me.... Have had it most of my life. Just something I don't use often. I think that might change...

Guy

very nice

we have an old 250/3000 that is a neat old gun but does not get out to hunt anymore

Thanks - yes - I'm not really a gun collector - but the idea of picking up a few more Savage 99's appeals.

I'd hunt with them!

Guy

I love the old 99. I have two a .308 and a 250-3000. I use my .308 on everything deer to elk and even jackrabbits. Although the .250 is much nicer for jacks. I saw a 22 high Power at a gun show about 4 years ago and almost got it. The one i really kick myself for not getting was a .303 Sav in very good condition at a local pawn shop about 6 years ago. I don't think i'll see one that nice again.

Still shoots...
99EG from 1935
300 Savage Factory 150gr Federal Softpoint
Lg aperture tang sight - off bags @ 100yds
(and old eyes)

Attachments

• 23Nov15_99.jpg
    23Nov15_99.jpg
    644.6 KB · Views: 1,574
Back