Older in particular, Dovetailed Centrefire rifles

HomerOz

Handloader
Sep 13, 2012
G'Day Fella's,

For some time now, I have had a thing for Post WWII sporting rifles.
In particular, being a British Colony and luckily, Australia had it's fair share of UK built sporting firearms in use here.
We also had no shortage of other European sporting rifles, like firearms made by Brno (now CZ), in the Czech Republic (something a little uncommon in the US).

The thing I like about these particular firearm designs, is that they took the Best of what was cutting edge and normal back then (M98 features), and then added there own slant and refined details, on how they believed it should be.

Here are a couple of examples of "Projects"/work in progress......
a 1970 vintage, Brno ZKK 600 (was 7x57, is .338-06 will be 9.3 x 62)
DSCN1622.JPG
DSCN1623.JPG
DSCN1624.JPG
The Pop-Up Ghost Ring peep sight feature.
DSCN1626.JPG
DSCN1630.JPG
The in field, Firing Pin removal feature.
DSCN1631.JPG

Doh!
Homer

Very cool Homer. Those old Post WWII rifles were/are about as good as it gets.

That's looks like an awesome piece.

I love the BRNO rifles. Kind of unusual in the U.S. from that era.

The only issue I ever had is the safety is just backwards...I still love to find an old ZKK with the apeture sight in the rear receiver ring.

G'Day Fella's,

Thank You SJB 358, I hope you are enjoying the view.

Yes, me to Hodgeman (Safety)! I kinda use the safety, like I'm cocking a Hammer.

I run out of space before, so here is a view of the rifle.
DSCN1625.JPG

Now here are a few images of a BSA "Royal" Featherweight rifle (Bottom) and a BSA Hunter (Top).
The Royal is in .243 but will become a 7x57/.275 Rigby (as you can see, the magazine box is long enough), and the Hunter (in .222 Rem).......not sure (to many unfinished projects).
DSCN1632.JPG
DSCN1634.JPG
As you can see, the mag is long enough for the factory 175grn, 7x57, with about 0.125"/3mm to spare........just perfect!
DSCN1643.JPG
DSCN1637.JPG
Here is a RHS view of the BSA Hunter (in .222).
Unlike the Sako actions of the time, that were all scaled Up or Down in cross sectional size to suit the Cartridge, these BSA rifles (and Brno ZKK Series), were all basically the same in cross sectional size thru the Receiver and Bolt, just the action length was scaled to suit.

Doh!
Homer

Thank You SJB358, I'm pleased you have enjoyed the view.

Regards
Homer

Homer,

I have a Converted BRNO 602 in 458 LOTT built by Lon Paul. I took it to work w/me over in Africa, and one I plan on taking back there when I take my bucket list trip! I don't know why I'm waiting on that and as of late it has been on my mind more, and more lately?

These rifles function flawlessly and are used a lot over in Africa, mainly as what was referred to as a poor man's rifle! But for me Homer I couldn't think of a finer rifle to own!

G'Day Fella's,

LRH, sounds like a fine dangerous game rifle you have their!
Save up and get back to using it in Africa, as soon as you possibly can, you will never regret the sacrifices.
FYI, have a look at the new http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au Hydrostatically Stabilised (Hydro's-see attached RH .505 Gibbs) bullets, for your next hunt.
Several mates of mine have used Hydro's on Africa's Big Five, and swear by them!
DSCN0438.JPGDSCN0443.JPG

Also LRH, check out the http://nitroexpress.com/ forum, there are a huge amount of knowledgeable people on there.

Yes, Brno ZKK series of rifles have long been very under rated by so many (which is great for the rest of us).
The older Brno rifles (pre 1970 ish - The Soviet invasion of the Czech Republic, was in 1968), were possibly the best of the ZKK (then there is also the older Model 20 and 21 and the ZG 47 before them) but what CZ are making now (see attached, CZ 550 Magnum in .505 Gibbs), are also very impressive.

Regards
Homer

Only way I could "get along with" that CZ safety was to also treat like "cocking a hammer".

I remember reading an article somewhere, years ago, of Lon Paul tweaking a Brno in a DG rifle for a friend...it had pictures and everything (of course) seems like decades ago.

My BRNO ZKK-602 has a three position wing safety like a Model 70, Kimber, etc. It is field stripable and the functioning of this rifle is second to none! Lon Paul lost his home and all his work in progress to a fire in California a few years ago. Pretty sad to see. Interesting guy, and very easy going guy to talk to, he was a great source of information.

Attachments

• P1050272.jpg
    P1050272.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 1,907
  • P1050271.jpg
    P1050271.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 1,907
G'Day Fella's,

Preacher, I'm the same as you, on the Brno safety!
Apparently CZ have addressed this safety issue on the current 550 series, as they now function the same as other rifles.

Thank You JD!
Sorry, I hope I didn't mislead anybody, as thats not my CZ .505 Gibbs!
Its a mate of mine Tony's, and here it is in Full Flight;
DSCN0440.JPG
DSCN0441.JPG
DSCN0442.JPG
OUCH!

LRH, Nice!!!
I love those in particular Brno lines etc!

Regards
Homer

Love older rifles and your buddy has a great looking shooter, Homer.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G'Day Fella's,

Thank You Vince, Tony likes it but it is far to much recoil for me!

Doh!
Homer

Back