Older Nosler reloading manuals.

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
When I started reloading a couple of years ago the Nosler #5 manual was out. I am interested in load data for the 280 from previous manuals for 140-150 gn bullets. Because I would like to see if the loads are "hotter". I never see any for sale, and there are none (surprise surprise) in our local library. Any ideas where I can get one of these manuals?

Long

The data for same powders in the #4 is the same as My #5 manual. There are a few newer powders listed and a couple of old ones dropped. I gave my old #3 to the wifes nephew a few years ago when he started loading so I can`t help with that one. If there is any differance in the data from the past I can`t verify it.

Just a thought, Shopping for a excuse to add a extra grain or two doesn`t alter the pressures in your rifle. Manuals don`t list max loads, only loads that were max in the test lab. You may or may not be able to fire these same loads in your gun, and the newer lots of components may or may not react the same as the old...................just a thought.

I have the Nosler #3 and #5 right here. The loads for the 280 with the 140 gr bullets are the same. Some powders changed. The highest velocity is with RL 19 and in the new book it's 2 fps higher.

Things are improving all of the time. Reloading book co's get new instruments and of course there is more litigation now. I know how you feel. I try not to overload but others do.

Get a 7mm RUM! Then the loads can be light. Just kidding but be careful.

longwinters":3gecicax said:
When I started reloading a couple of years ago the Nosler #5 manual was out. I am interested in load data for the 280 from previous manuals for 140-150 gn bullets. Because I would like to see if the loads are "hotter". I never see any for sale, and there are none (surprise surprise) in our local library. Any ideas where I can get one of these manuals?

Long

E-Bay. Just recently, Speer manuals 1-10 sold as a lot for about $250. I have all but Speer #1, so it was real hard to justify $250 for one reloading manual (but I thought about it :) ).

Casey

ok, thanks. What you both say makes a lot of sense. I was just wondering because John Barsness lists hotter loads for the 280/150 gn bullets than any of my current manuals. I realize that he has all the equipment to test pressures etc... but wondered if the older manuals listed hotter loads. By the way his load for H4831 in the 280 is probably the best bullet/powder combo I have ever shot out of my 280 and this powder is not even listed in Noslers manual for this situation. I understand that Nosler cannot list every powder out there for every bullet but I would throw all the others on the page away for just this one load.

Long

October 2004 Handloader magazine. Don't get me wrong, there are several loads in the Nosler book, for this caliber/bullet, that have been MOA for me. But this load is the most consistent and tighter groups.

Long

i have reloadeing manual # 1 and # 3 the loads for 280 140 gr. are basicaly the same , a couple powders arent in the older one tho

Back