On OAL of chamber?

coyotetrapper

Beginner
Feb 9, 2007
I did the dropping of a bullet down the barrell and measured with the cleanrod trick. I come up with 3.228 " OAL on my rem SS special purpose. So backing it off .20 that puts me right at 3.200 OAL.

The question I had would this change with bullet length? Would a 100 gr bal tip be different over the 115 I'm using? Also I know berger bullets to have longer ogive so will that change as the rod is connecting the end of the bullet? Thanks.

They all will have different lengths to the lands. Different manufacturers, different weights and different shapes will all have a different length. Get the Stoney Point tool and Modified case, spend a few minutes learning how to use it.Rick.

coyotetrapper":aa1iy3sx said:
I did the dropping of a bullet down the barrell and measured with the cleanrod trick. I come up with 3.228 " OAL on my rem SS special purpose. So backing it off .20 that puts me right at 3.200 OAL.

The question I had would this change with bullet length? Would a 100 gr bal tip be different over the 115 I'm using? Also I know berger bullets to have longer ogive so will that change as the rod is connecting the end of the bullet? Thanks.

YES. YES, and YES.
And well stated.
Smitty of the North

Back