Only 3 years to go...

No wounds here, I am way better off out of that site. Just kind of musing about Harvey. That troll has 100 lives.

Well, I saw Allen Martin at an event I was at this weekend (Gunmaker's Fair)....he said he just ordered my barrel. He offered to take my 300H&H as a partial trade toward my rifle, too, lol.

LOL, well, I was talking stocks with him...he makes custom sporters, too. He was just interested in hearing about the rifle, and when I said "I need you to NOT be ahead of schedule!" and explained he chuckled and understood. I said I couldn't pass it up and so he asked what it set me back. When I told him, he thought it too good for me to have passed up as well, and made that offer.

I believe someone around here was trying to swindle...er...talk me out of that rifle before I even had it....wonder who that was....?

tddeangelo":2vnix9w1 said:
I believe someone around here was trying to swindle...er...talk me out of that rifle before I even had it....wonder who that was....?

Couldn't tell ya? :shock:

I can't believe that anyone hanging out around this forum would be so crass as to make the effort to swind... er, talk you out of your firearm. :roll: Nope, wouldn't happen.

Update:

The rifle is a reality, although not completed.

Martin has the stock and the barrel, and the barrel is inlet. That's about it thus far.

I was surprised that he got a 1:56 twist barrel, which is a bit faster than I'd expected. He relayed that he'd learned to go a tad faster than normal via John Getz (of Getz Barrels). Slower twists work, but he said they often require stiffer powder charges to get their accuracy potential from them. He feels confident that my rifle will shoot well at 70-100gr of 2F powder under a roundball, and those are decent charges. Recoil should be tolerable and trajectory should be sufficient to give me +/- 3" from POA out to 100 yards. That's with a 340gr round ball. With the barrel length involved, it'll help wring more speed from the charge, too.

Looks like it'll be done somewhere near Christmas, give or take depending on how his other projects progress.

I gave him the go-ahead to do some modest carvings in the stock to make it more true to form for the time period and style it's representing. It added a bit to the bottom line, but in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't as much as I anticipated the carving adding.

I've also started chatting with him here and there about working on stocks. He also makes stocks for Mauser 98 sporters. I'd like to get into learning to make long rifles myself, and he seems willing to help as time permits. We'll see where it goes... :)

Tom,

That sounds pretty good. The final wait might be a tad tough, but it will be great to see the rifle with you. I'm certainly looking forward to the pictures.

Thanks, DrMike.

He sometimes brings "in progress" projects to shows, and there is a show near me in July. I'm hoping maybe my rifle can be one of them and I can get a sneak peek at it.

Scotty has told me he expects me to run a jug test on it when I get it. There's no bullet he won't run into water jugs, apparently. ;)

I do intend to do such a test. Based on the limited data online I've dug up on jug-testing RB's, I think folks may be surprised at the results, but I will see what it does when I get the rifle in-hand.

Tod I never jug tested my .45 cal Southern Mt Rifle and I can tell you with 100grs of FFG it shoot thru both sides of a white tail at 50yds. Unless you hit bone you'll never find the .62 or .58 cal round ball.
Enjoy the build.

What I've read on testing is limited, but the few well-documented tests I saw used 440 round balls from a 45-cal pistol, and they got the ball into the 3rd or 4th jug at I think 15 yards. I don't recall the powder charge they were using.

My rifle will be shooting a 340gr 610 ball, most likely, and should be able to move it at about 1300fps. Maybe more, considering the 46" of barrel available for the powder to burn in.

That is alot of mass, that is for sure. Talk about the frontal area though. Should be pretty similar to a full sized 20 gauge Foster slug right?

Either way, trudging along at 1300, it should hit with some authority.

Pretty much....fosters will be slightly better for penetration due to their oblong profile (compared to a round ball), but as far as diameter and mass, pretty much the same.

Back