Open sights?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
When was the last time you used them in a hunt. and how did you do?

I do have a Win 94 30-30. It is not drilled or tapped though NIB.

It "might" get peeps but never a scope.

It has been at least twenty years ago. My eyes were twenty years younger and I had no trouble lining everything up. Today, a peep sight is a minimum for me.

Fotis, I just carried that little 673 afield last Sunday morning with open sights only. I can't say for sure, but I might have had a shot at a doe if I'd have had optics. It was very foggy and the woods are pretty thick where I was hunting, so no sure thing either way, but I could not get a clear sight picture on her against the brown leaf clutter of the forest floor on the far side of the draw I was hunting. Bear in mind, though, that I did make a 60+ yard shot freehand at that blonde coyote with that same rifle, an hour later, in the same creek bottom, from a similar position. The fog had lifted by then, and I'd bet I could have had a shot at that doe in the same conditions. Pretty sure I'd not have had a shot at the yote in the fog, either. I'm not sure about your part of the world, but around here, we have plenty of areas that are not much beyond bow range in terms of visibility, and having a short, quick-handling rifle with open sights allows for some pretty good target acquisition and tracking on moving targets in the thick woods, as evidenced by that yote. That's exactly what I was after when I picked that little jewel up from you.

I guess I owe you one more Thank You, as well.

I always have a open sighted rifle, to go along with my pistol. In your face wolf, lion, or bear shooting needs open sights. A lot of brush around the area too.

As I approach 70 years old and after two cataract operation, my ability to use iron sights is confined to the prescription range on my bifocals. I presently have one pair of glasses that will allow me to see iron sights on a handgun at 3 feet.

This, however, does not allow me to see iron sights on a rifle sight one foot away which is why I gave away my Model 94 Winchester to my son, so at least someone can use it, although I might have been able to use an apeture sight with this rifle. I will stick to pistols for now, since I own (8) of them.

My 336 Marlin in 35 Remington has a Williams Firesight on front and a Williams Ghost Ring on back.

Being diabetic, my eyesight varies from day to day, but that sight works great.

And zero'd for 75 yards for the terrian I hunt in with it.....point of aim, point of impact.

Gonna put same type sights on my Marlin 1894C in 357Mag soon.

I run peep's on a few rifle, namely my 336 35 Remington, 45-70 as backup (XS), and plan on putting some Skinners on my 444. I also have a Williams peep on my M94 30-30 and it shoots really well. I love a good set of peep's on a rifle.

The last deer I took with iron's was a little deer down on Brian's hunting area with the 35 Remington at around 60 yards or so. Worked fine. I will continue to use them on rifles that just don't need scopes.

It has been at least 35 years since I have :(
We shot gophers using our old Cooey 22 LR tubed repeaters :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

I had a Cooey .22 when I was a kid also. I used to take it back and forth between Maine an Quebec with no muss or fuss in the 1950's. Now, I would be an International Terrorist for doing that.

Oldtrader3":2r499vgr said:
I had a Cooey .22 when I was a kid also. I used to take it back and forth between Maine an Quebec with no muss or fuss in the 1950's. Now, I would be an International Terrorist for doing that.

You're not an international terrorist, Charlie? I know that all who live in Canada are terrorist according to Janet Napolitano and company. :grin:

I don't know, I was accused while working in Costa Rica of being a CIA agent by a spy that worked for their governement. Plus, the PRC spied on me for 12 years after I retired for my work in China. Somebody must think that I am an intenational terrorist

It has been a good year for me sans any scopes.

Browning model 71 with a Lyman 66WB peep. 70-80 yard offhand shot.

DSC01258.jpg

My go to varmint rig for the last 17 years. Pre war Model 70 in 22hornet with Lyman 48 peep. This has accounted for hundreds of ground hogs. The longest being 163 yards.

shed002.jpg

My beloved 1949 Model 70 in .270win with Lyman 48 peep. I haven't shot anything but paper with it, but I hope to change that this year. Here she is in her new stock next to her original.

DSC01418.jpg

With a lineup like this and the ability to shoot well with peeps ( only 38 years old), I don't see scopes on any of these for a long long long time. The 71 will never have one, and the .270 may get an old 4x Burris here soon in QR mounts in case I ever take her out west.

Seems as though there are a lot (way out of proportion) 1949 Winchester (what evers) floating around. Tom, has a ..30-06, I have a .270 Super Grade and you, Pat have a couple. Is this an omen of some sort?

Fotis, here is what I did with the factory iron's on my 444 Marlin. Target selection is much more important for load work and such, but used within their range, they are still decent if you can see the target.

C13F377E-67A6-4083-8244-C026D234CA0F-18599-00001E5976EE5956.jpg

C1A4FB55-80B4-4FF9-9D36-7AB348CEEDB9-18599-00001E597BDE399F.jpg

4DBC2917-F66F-49D3-8D26-B05B0A46A821-18599-00001E59A077F183.jpg

Again, I know I shoot much better with even a lower powered scope, and gain a little more hunting time with the scope in the evenings, but for the majority of hunting, I don't feel handicapped.

Those are respectable groups, Scotty, and more than respectable! They will work for anything you might want to hunt in the Lower 48 if you hunt and aren't just shooting.

Back