Opinions on Brightest low-medium power scope u

Feb 18, 2011
Title says it all with these parameters:

30mm or 1" tube
Objective no bigger than 40-42mm
max power 9x
Max budget $700.00

I was thinking probably a swaro Z3 3-9x36 OR possibly a Meopta 2000 1.5-6X42

I've never looked at a Z3 outside of a store. I have an Artemis, although not that model. It is the brightest scope I own. It is brighter than my Conquests, ZA5, and VX3. I suspect that the Swaro may be a little brighter.

Yeah, it sounds like the Swaro 3x9.. I am not sure if they are under 700.00 though.

I had decided to buy one of the Swarovski 3-9x36s with #4 reticle a while back ($750). Somehow, however, a rifle purchase got in the way. :shock: It would get my vote at that price break.

I think that is an excellent scope, the only hitch to me would be the 3" eye relief. I would love to try the Meopta's, but the eye relief worries me a little on a harder kicking rifle. It does look like excellent glass though.

23 oz. is pretty hefty. I very seriously doubt that the likes of a Conquest or ZA3/ZA5 wouldn't be bright enough and they certainly weigh quite a bit less. The Z3 offers the best of both worlds, but nearly doubles the price. I'm also not sure where you are finding the Z3 under the $700 threshold.

While I'm sure that Artemis is very nice, I wouldn't put it on a rifle I was going to carry around the mountains. Mine weighs less than that (~18 oz) and it is currently not on a rifle due mostly to its weight.

I agree with Trevor and Scotty, the z3 is probably the closest to what you are looking for but you will need another 100 dollars to get it.

For a 1" tube scope the S & B Summit is just fantastic, I love it----BUT, it is 1000 dollars over what your wanting to pay. but it would look nice and work well on your rifle. I am attempting to be an enabler like my friend Scotty, how did I do on my first try Scotty LOL

My best buddy's 30.06 is what the scope is going on...And yes a S&B Summit would be ideal if he had the money....btw cameralandny.com and samplelist.com usually has 1 or 2 swaros for under 7 bills

You guys are making some great choices here, but why not simply buy a Leupold 2.5 X 8 VX3 and be done with it.

That scope is small, lightweight, bright, and well under $700.

I prefer higher scopes on a lot of my rifles, but I have three 2.5 X 8 X 32 Leupolds and they are great scopes.

Mr. Flowers does have a good notion, but I took it a step further and sold my 2.5x8 and went with the Minox 2-10.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=66010

It is brighter, just about the same size, if not identical and isn't super expensive either. They do have alot of eye relief, which some folks don't like, but I enjoy it. They also have a 1.5x8 that would be another great optic to have in the timber, especially when mated to a #4 reticle. I can't say enough good about them, everytime I look at another brand of scope in that price range, the Minox wins out cause of the other three I have. I am not sure you can beat them for the money. I did like that 2.5x8 though. Excellent scope.

The reticle choice is as important as the glass when in the timber. A #4 or a lit reticle would be my choice in the dark stuff. I've been wanting to try a VX-R in 2.5x8 - it would be great.

Scott

I bought a VX3 2.5-8 because it was small and light weight. It is bright enough, but it's not as bright as my Conquests, Minox, or Meopta. It is also not as clear as those scopes. It's a good match for my No. 1 35 Whelen, but optically it does not quite hang with the Euro "Assembled in the USA" glass, to my eyes at least. I think I'll eventually upgrade to one of these with the No. 4 reticle:

bd1945b47b.jpg

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=66100

Reticle choice is definitely important. My Meopta has a #1 reticle which is fantastic for low light.

That is the scope that'll go on the 45-70 I think. I have tried to think of a reason to do something else, but this one, with a #4 always comes back to the top.

The Minox is a great scope, without a doubt. It will look good atop the Guide Gun, Scotty.

ROVERT":134b850n said:
I bought a VX3 2.5-8 because it was small and light weight. It is bright enough, but it's not as bright as my Conquests, Minox, or Meopta. It is also not as clear as those scopes. It's a good match for my No. 1 35 Whelen, but optically it does not quite hang with the Euro "Assembled in the USA" glass, to my eyes at least. I think I'll eventually upgrade to one of these with the No. 4 reticle:

bd1945b47b.jpg

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=66100

Reticle choice is definitely important. My Meopta has a #1 reticle which is fantastic for low light.

I put this scope on my 358 win. last winter...love it!

DrMike":nl3gchv6 said:
The Minox ZA5 is a great scope, as you attest, Joel.

Joel got me started with my first one and now I can't stop.. I can't much to not like about their 1.5x8, 3x9, and 2-10's.. Very nice scopes. I can't complain a bit about them. They dial nicely as well.

SJB358":25tceunl said:
That is the scope that'll go on the 45-70 I think. I have tried to think of a reason to do something else, but this one, with a #4 always comes back to the top.

The best scope that I have had mounted on a .45-70 was a 2.5-8x32 Conquest. The scope mounted low over the bore and was plenty wide enough field for woods hunting and had sufficient eye relief (>4 inches) for the caliber. I had a 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch and the eye relief was too short, whacking my nose with the scope cover lever every shot.

That is the other reason I want the Minox, I know it is going to be +4" of eye relief.. Well, that, and I really like their optics Charlie. Plus, it is hard to find a nice scope with optics like that, with that kinda mag range. 1.5x8 covers alot of ground..