Opinions on S&W 637 Airweight Chief's Special?

147 Grain

Beginner
May 17, 2005
Wanted to get some expert opinions on the 15-oz S&W 637 Airweight Chief's Special that's rated for 38 Special +P.

163050_item.jpg

This J-frame revolver would mainly be for my wife's use. We plan on using 148-gr. Wadcutters or 130-gr. FMJ for practice and Speer (SB) 135-gr. Gold Dots in it for protection.

I played with the Scandium and Airweight J frames a few years back. Although I didn't get to due a longevity test with 10k rounds they seemed like a high quality firearms. I prefer the .38 Special +P over the .357 Mag in a 2". And for pocket or purse carry I prefer the hammer enclosed models like the 342. I'd also try using a bullet that's the same weight for practice as I've found point of aim/ point of impact can change dramatically with varying weight bullets. Great guns IMHO.

For many years carried a Mdl 37 Sq butt ( orig blue, later hard chromed). I mainly used it as a 2nd gun. I liked it very much for my applications, BUT using +Ps in a 13 oz gun has major issues. At a time when I practiced very frequently, and routinly shot 100% qualification type scores w/ .357 mags, I could barely do what I considered acceptable w/ M37 ( using Craig Spegiel Boot grips, unusable w/ fact grips & +P ).
For use as a primary gun by "newer" shooter and/or commiting to "average" amount of training, I feel a slightly heavier gun would be a beter choice. Consider a steel J frame, or even a Ruger SP101.

I also extensivly have carried a 3" steel J frame. The wt difference was noticable at only with ankle carry or in pocket of very lt clothing. Still very doable, just able to feel a difference. With belt level or shoulder carry, couldn't even tell.

Concealed hammer is advantage if carried in actual pocket. However most holsters are designed for hammer spurs to retain gun using a thumb break, or other retaining system.

I've had belly guns in S&W Chiefs Special 38 spec(sold it) & Rossi Mod 88 SS 38 spec 5 shot don't a need +P rating as I carry factory or my own loaded ammo 148 gr hollow base wadcutters inverted when I'm hunting which is very effective and accurate,when I was employed as a probation officer a homicide det told me about a murder using an inverted hollow base bullet, the victim had a small entry wound but inside the damage was severe.

Got that exact gun that carries in front right pocket very nicely. I've had it about two years now and whenever I run out, just slip it in my pocket. At work, I sometimes leave my big gun in my office when I go to lunch and just slip this on my ankle or in my pocket. Accurate enough also.

Back