Opinions on the 160 Grain Accubond in 7mm-08

Idaho_Elk_Huntr

Beginner
Feb 5, 2009
Anyone tried it?? Was thinking about loading them up for the wife for elk season in her Model 7. Do you think its to much bullet for that little gun??

160 gr ab in my 7mm wby mag is my favorite load. I shoot great (single hole) groups. and it has amazing knockdown power. My son took an elk at 165 yds with it. Broke the front shoulder, and then took out the upper heart. Lodged in the far pelt after breaking through a rib. I shoot it at around 3050 fps.

Great bullet for me,
Hardpan

The 160 gr AB is a pretty long bullet that will eat up a lot of case capacity in the 7mm-08. I'm thinking a 150 gr PT would be an excellent choice and would get you a little move velocity.

JD338

at 7mm/08 velocities there is nothing wrong with a 150 BT or even a 140 AccuBond or ballistic tip, at impact velocities below 2800 fps the BT's behave well. heck I shoot deer with 140 BT's at 3550 and as long as I stay off the scapula they just about all exit, but an exit is almost a given with an AccuBond.
RR

Realistically though velocity aside could one expect descent accuracy and performance at close range say under 150 yds?

Reason I ask is I have a model 7 youth that I pack when its my turn to be a driver on our deer drives so if I get a shot when packing it it is a clsoe one and I like the idea of it being a heavy bullet at close range plus I am hoping that my 7mag likes them and I only need to buy one bullet

I see you are in Ca and if you are talking about blacktail or mule deer get the 140 for your rifles. Heck we have found that the 140PAR bullet(and probably the AB though I have not tried them) do better for both deer in a 7mm rem mag. The 160gr bullets shot thru without opening enough and caused quite a few wounded animals that some got away. Not so with the 140gr PAR bullet. I used the 140gr BT on pronghorns that were as big as our blacktail deer with excellent results but was not as happy with it on large mule deer.
I just got a 7mm-08 and plan to use 120BT(got a couple boxes for pronghorns and blacktail deer) or 140PAR for hogs bigger deer. The 160gr bullets will use too much case space. If you are using a short barrel (ie model 7) rifle that is another reason to use the lighter bullets. Also a 160 will NOT "buck brush" any better than the lighter ones.
Just use 140gr PAR or AB bullets in both the 7mmrem mag and the 7mm-08. I have 2 friends who use the 140gr for elk with a 7mm rem mag and a 7mm weatherby and the PAR bullets have worked well for them for years on pronghorns/deer/elk. Yes even elk.

I have yet to try the 140 AB on elk with my 7-08, but have taken two bull elk with this rifle and 140 Swift A-frames. You loose way too much case capacity going to that long of a bullet in a hunting application.

Personal opinion here, but think the 160 may be a little much for the Model 7. What length tube do you have? the early 18.5 or newer 20 inch?
I've taken several elk with my M700 7-08, but all with B-tips ( the pre-AccuBond erra )
The 120's to 150's were made for the 7-08. I've pretty much changed due to other caliber issues to shooting the 120gr B-tip out of mine.
What you have going for you however is the 7-08's don't seem to be too finicky about what goes down the tube and they all shoot fairly well.

Back