Opinions please! Scope for Under $400

rmarshall

Handloader
Mar 10, 2010
I have ordered a Legendary Arms in a 260 Rem, I will need to top with a new scope :grin: I have always used Leupolds, what would you top it with? would a VX3 2-8x36 be enough, a straight six like the leupold or even the SWAFA, thoughts please or brand advice is great too! thanks

Camera Land is having a sale on open box Vortex Scopes, same life time warranty as Luepold. I have a new Diamond Back HD 3-12X42 0n my 35 Whelen and it works great.

It will be mainly a hunting scope, may shoot some steel and such. don't think I will be dialing, may shoot up to 600 yds, maybe dialing is best for that! Just want a good all round scope for the new rifle, thanks

If weight is a concern the leupold 6x or 3-9 vx11 with CDs turret is very nice, or a 2.5-8 is great all around. If you want to dial the SWFA SS in 6x is a great scope for the money but much heavier.

I have a couple of the leupold CDS scopes and have been very pleased with them.

I also have a conquest 3-9 on a 375 RUM that has served me well

rmarshall":203b0st4 said:
I have ordered a Legendary Arms in a 260 Rem, I will need to top with a new scope :grin: I have always used Leupolds, what would you top it with? would a VX3 2-8x36 be enough, a straight six like the leupold or even the SWAFA, thoughts please or brand advice is great too! thanks

All three of those you mentioned would be my picks buddy. I really like that FX3 6x42, a 6x36 would be good as well. The SWFA 6X are supposed to be excellent as well. And last but not least, a 2-8 or a plain old 3.5x10 would be close in my eyes. I kinda like the 3.5x10 for a variable. Does alot of stuff well.

I'd go for it. :)
Looks to be the same scope I suggested at a lower price. If you can find one with the Rapid Z Reticle I think you'll like it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I might just jump on it, I keep thinking about a ballistic reticle or a CDS dial, HOW IS Leupolds CDS? Maybe a new vx2 with CDs? Anybody use one much? I know bear uses them, are they reliable? I've heard a few complaints!

Buy the Leupold if that is what you want? I have (5) Zeiss scopes from the 2.5-8x36 to the Conquest 5-15x42 Diavari. This includes, (2) Conquest HD 5 ED scopes in 3-15x42 format. The Zeiss scopes are all better than most Leupold's except perhaps the VX6, having owned probably (12) Leupold's in my life.

Just my $.02.

I've been considering selling an extra 4-16x44 vortex with the bdc reticle.. It's in excellent condition, box and everything else that comes with them. It was on my 25-06 for a while before being changed out for a hslr. Lapped rings were torqued to 18-20in lbs. It's only seen the range and the safe, no chemicals on the lenses, no scratches or dings. I want to sell it to get the pressure trace equipment. I'm looking to get $350 for it.

Wyo is that viper hs, 30 mm tube is that correct? That's tempting! Hey all do I even need a custom dial or ballistic reticle?? That Zeiss is really getting me thinking to just get it and practice, practice with hold over and such.

if you are going to shoot out to 600 yards , you need to be using a BDC reticle or dialing in elevation .

You're right, It's the viper HS, 30 mil tube.

Really no need for custom turret for 600 yards. When you start getting to 900+ yards is when the customs start to shine.

Here are some pics- I got it wet to clean off the pencil indexing marks I do when I mount the scope. When you get it wet, you can see where the rings were.

bd8eae3255b495ef38c4451dfa2d87ce.jpg
0354dd8f16b560ab05ac18d6d51e3d8f.jpg
714bde636a62f36dc620c123af115cca.jpg
90e1371693a35d2b3f49b36eca54a4cf.jpg
9d4bc9dd2d7b1da7c63e6ecd33817ff5.jpg

if you decide you want to dial a scope ,that does not have exposed knobs, these guys can probably fix you up .

http://kentonindustries.com/

the problem with a custom knob is it is only accurate for what it was made for . if you change velocity , bullet weight , hunting at a different altitude , change ring height , put it on a different rifle it will probably not match up . I just use MOA turrets .

Back