Optical Clarity in a VX-1. Am I expecting too much?

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Optical Clarity- a rather nebulous topic- So I picked up a VX-1 as a return at Cabela's "bargain cave". When I noted that the cross hairs were clear but I couldnt get the image (target)in the background to focus, and the salesman in "Optics" agreed w/ me I got them to knock another $40 off the price. That left me with a VX-1 for about $100 that didnt appear as clear as my $90 Bushnell Trophy that sits in a box.
Of course it is on the way to Beaverton for a check up. Am I expecting too much to get a crystal clear "cheap" Leupold?

The VX-1 is warranted for life, unconditionally. You can just send it to Leupold and they will fix it to put it back in correct focus and in operating order, probably in a couple weeks. Their service is always excellent.

Personally, I have owned one, 3-9x40, VX-1 which I bought for $160 new (on sale), about (5) years ago. Mine focused fine, I always focus all of my scopes because of an Astigmatism issue with my eyes. I compared image and contrast to two VX II, 3-9x40"c" scopes which I owned at that time, as spares. The focus and clarity of the VX-1 were fine. Contrast was low as was (IMHO) image quality in low light. I did not follow up with Leupold and being disappointed, just sold the scope (LNIB) on Ebay because I never fired a rifle with it. I may have just had a bad one. Others have had better luck with this scope model. Just my $.02.

There is no free lunch in optics, unless you are luckier than I have been. I always paid for the quality in order to get it? Physically, the scope was well made and finished cosmetically. I could not tell it from a VX II until attribute testing.

I was just shooting our BDL in 25-06 today which is topped with a VX-1 3-9x40. I was also shooting a VX-III, Elite 4200, Buckmaster, and a Sightron S II on other rifles enabling my barrels to cool. None of these other scopes are even mentioned in conversations about great scopes. All serviceable, quality scopes but nothing to praise Hosannah about. Every time it was the BDL's turn to shoot I wished I had another scope to exchange it with. Poor clarity, contrast and noticeable parallax.

I can't remember how this VX-1 looked when new so I'm not certain what you'd get out of Beaverton. Maybe a free upgrade to the new VX-2 glass? I've heard it's much better than the original VX-II optics.

I ran a VXI 3x9 on the Whelen for a long time. While not as nice as the Minox's, it is completely serviceable and it held a zero. I still have it, but I wouldn't buy another, with Minox and others being more reasonably priced.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. It arrived at Leupold yesterday. Hoping for an up grade. CL

My sight is sufficiently poor that I want every advantage. There are some really good scopes that are not exorbitantly priced; unfortunately, I don't consider the VX1 to be one of those.

NOW YA TELL ME, FELLAS!! :roll: :wink: :roll:

Ssshhh - dont tell anybody else. I gotta unload that sucker...... :wink: CL

Well one month to the day since I put it in the mail, I got the VX-I back from Leupold. Of course they gave it a form letter with a clean bill of health. They did no address my perception of a lack of optical clarity at all. Having nothing to loose an being slightly perturbed with myself, I started adjusting the focus. Turned that sucker out until I thought it was gonna come apart and things finally came into focus. The cross hairs arent as sharp as the were but I can read the calender in the kitchen from in the other room. Intalation may wait 'til next year....I hate last minute installs the week b-4 a hunt. Ive already got a VX-II on my main slug gun and my daughter may not hunt this year due to work and school. We shall see.....

CL... as some who know me from other forums can attest, I'm no fan of Leupold because of a premium that must be paid to obtain their optics. At $100 for a VX-1, I would have jumped on that, though. The great thing about Leupold, aside from their service, is their resale. You typically have to pay a premium even for a used one. There are some great scopes out there that if shopped for properly can be had at phenomenal prices. That being said, it doesn't sound like you terribly happy with the VX-1... maybe satisfied at best. It might be worth taking that VX-1 and putting it on eBay or gunbroker, taking the money and getting something that'll make you happier. I did that very thing about a year ago with a VariX IIc that came on a used rifle. I put it on ebay and picked up an open box special Minox for only a few bucks more than what I got out of the Leupold. Just something to chew on...

The comment about the VX1 being equivalent to the original VXII, I am not buying it. I have only owned one VX1 briefly but I have probaby owned half a dozen VXII's and still own two of these. The older VXII's may not have the optic coatings that the VX-3 and the newer VX2's have but they are better scopes optically than the VX1, at least the one that I had was worse.

I would rate the VX1 about the same as the Philippine made Nikon Monarch (low contrast and resolution!). Now I am no expert but I was an optical plant, senior project engineer in a lens plant for a few years. Plus, I used the US Air Force resolution charts, one half hour after sunset at 25 yards for this comparison on contrast and resolution of lines per millimeter. The VXII is just behind the Conquest and Minox for contrast and clarity under these optical test conditions.

Back