Osprey

You've definitely captured the essence of the pair. They are lovely birds and fascinating to watch.

Once again, great work. Loved to watch them along the Deschuttes growing up. Only recently, last four years? Started seeing a pair on the Alaska Peninsula.

Man! they are impressive! More handsome than an eagle IMHO. Nice shot....again! CL

Guy, have you ever noticed that Eagles and Ospreys do not get along very well. Where I live in Florida we have a combination of both Birds and a Friend of mine has an osprey nest in a tree on his property. When the Ospreys are nesting with eggs the Eagles harrass the heck out of them obviously in an attempt to get the eggs from the nest. When the hatchlings are in the nest the Osprey's are in full combat mode as the Eagles do obviously make attempts to pull the young ones from the nest. Actually the Osprey's give a very good accounting of themselves and the young ones for the most part survive.

Yes, they are NOT fond of each other! :)

The pair of eagles I watch most often live here most of the year. Mama eagle flys off for a month or two. Dad tends to stick in the area most of the year anymore.

The ospreys head south about October and return the first or second week of April. I miss them when they're gone. We have a lot of them here along the Columbia and yes they do give a good account of themselves. They're not as big and strong as the eagles but seem more agile in the air. I was watching an eagle which was perched on a dead snag looking down onto the river... Suddenly a large osprey dove right at the eagle! Eagle dove off the perch and into the cover of nearby trees, after narrowly avoiding the strike!

I was in my kayak trying to get photos of the eagle when all that happened.

At another small mountain lake above town, there's an eagle nest on one end, and an osprey nest on the other end. They seem to make a truce pretty quickly each year and get along reasonably well. They all get interested though when I'm out in the kayak, fly fishing. :)

Guy

Back