Own any rifles you haven't shot?

I am ashamed to say that I do have a rifle, for five years or so, that I have not fired. It's a Rem 740 chambered for .244 Rem. But I am going to cure that issue soon. I have reloads ready to try her out. The rifle doesn't look like it got much use in its day.View attachment 17313
It's definitely looks like it is in nice shape!
Hunted deer with some people in Saskatchewan back in '92 who had one also labeled in 244 Rem. Worked just fine for them on whitetails and mule deer. Others used one in 243. They definitely were quick with the follow up shots when needed on those driven hunts!

While the 243 is a great cartridge, I have only ever owned one, and never used it enough to gain any sentiment for the round. I tended to think that I would have preferred the 6mm Rem, or 244, as first introduced, has a slightly larger case capacity than the 243. Another friend had a 6mm and I did enjoy shooting it more than my 243, but I think it was just the difference in the rifle stock configuration, and not the cartridge.

About the only gun I haven't shot is an Ithaca 20 ga. over/under that I bought to hunt quail and the like. Read a lot of Jack O'Connor on the 20 ga. and his hunts here in Arizona. I learned the hard way that one needs a ery well trained dog if one wants to eat quail. Damn things don't fly, they run and hide. Takes a good dog to make the fly. As for the rest of my guns, every one has been shot at least once, usually shortly after I'd just bought it. Most are in more or less limbo, waiting to be brought back out into the light. Methink the really hard kickers are on permanent vacation and shooting that stuff isn'y all that much fun anymore.
Paul B.

Back