Pack in hunts?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Who here has done a pack-in hunt, with horses or backpacking?

Most of the time, like most guys, I hunt from home, from a cabin or from a tent set up near my parked 4x4 pickup. It's easy, convenient, and there's a decent warm place to stay at the end of the day.

A pack in hunt, either by horseback or backpacking, is a lot more work and seems to take a lot more planning, but it's worthwhile. Seems like there's about a million little details to be figured out. I've done the backpack hunting trip several times, but have only horse-packed in once. The horse-pack trip was a real eye-opener for this non-horse guy. I figured out how to ride acceptably well reasonably quickly, but the whole thing of taking care of the horses, and their gear was a mystery to me. Lots more work involved with the horses than I'd imagined. What they do though, is allow hunters to get deep into the wilderness and set up a pretty nice camp, complete with a big canvas wall tent, comfortable air mattresses and a wood burning stove. That right there was well worthwhile at the end of a long day of hunting the high country.

Backpacking is something I'm far more accustomed to, and for which I'm well equipped. I've been taking summer backpacking trips most years for about 40 years now, since I was a kid. Occasionally I'll use skis or snowshoes and make a winter backpacking trip too - but not as often as I once did. Hunting & backpacking can go together, and well, but I've found a guy has to make some mental adjustments, and also has to make some hard choices about gear. Oh, and it helps to be in good shape. A lot.

So - who here has done a pack-in trip? They're pretty special in my book. Please tell us about the trip!

Regards, Guy

I have been thinking about doing one of those this year for deer. Sounds very much intriguing and a good challenge.

Corey

Mr. Guy, i have been on several fully outfitted hunts and a lot of drop camp hunts. My favorite is the drop camps, the outfitter furnishes everything except your bed role and food, he packs you in an out, checks on you every couple of days to see if you need anything an packs your game out. You will be camped in the middle of game country, when you wake up and step out of the tent have your rifle. You could have the shot of a life time that close to your bed.

Guy,

We do and have done quiet a bit of back-packing during archery season. We've generally hunted at very high altitude, ten to a little over thirteen thousand feet in elevation. We'll pack all our food and camp utensils type ware in the weekend before. Obviously string it up between a couple trees to keep the critters out of it, scout for the day and return the following weekend.

It's always nice not to have to drive an hour or more before you get out of the truck and start walking.

I have done several backpack trips (more then I care to count :shock: ) My Goat hunt this fall was a backpacking trip, 23 miles in, 25 out. Our packs never weighed less then 70 pounds. I really appreciate the the backpacking trips more then others, makes me feel like I actually accomplished more. Sleeping in tents, eating Mountain Houses, makes it feel like old times. Just writing this makes me want to load up my pack and head out. Cant do it because of the knee but this fall I will chasing Dall Sheep around the mountains again and I cant wait!

If anyone wants to talk gear, I will be more then happy to share my opinions & experiences. I have gone through just about everything out there.

Tim

Wow - 20+ miles in... That's a LOT of walking! You're to be congratulated on such an effort! I've set up camp 8 - 15 miles in a few times. I do like to limit it to a one-day walk in. Somewhere in there, it gets to be a lot of work, but it's a very special way to hunt and I thoroughly enjoy it. I try to keep the weight of my hunting gear down, way down.

The backpacking gear gets limited pretty much to the essentials, if it doesn't give me food, water, or shelter - it doesn't come along. I limit it to a backpacker's tent, a down bag and foam pad, my MSR Whisperlite stove, a water pump, some bottles and enough food to keep going strong for a few days. For clothing, again I keep it simple. An outer-shell, some fleece for warmth, long johns, an extra pair of socks and my boots. There's a little first aid kit tucked in there too.

I don't bother with a cell phone because I've carried one before and it doesn't work where I go.

For the hunting end - I settle for a pair of binos, a rifle with 10 rounds of ammo, a rangefinder, a good knife and a game bag. Since I treated myself to the Swarovski rangefinder a couple of years ago, I just take it and not the binos. It does double duty.

Although it's much better to pack into remote areas with a buddy, I have to confess to doing it alone a few times. Sometimes it's tough to find a partner who will pack in, and who's worth sharing a camp with for a few days. Having a partner means the load gets split up a lot better. It's still one tent and one stove - but two people are now splitting the load.

Yup - planning on doing Washington's "high buck hunt" in September. Will be in shape for it this year - that helps tremendously.

Regards, Guy

Guy,

Are you going up to the Alpine lakes or somewhere else? I have always wondered about a high alpine hunt. Sounds fun, I'm jealous.

Corey

Haven't quite made up my mind. Have been up a few times... Beautiful hunt. Can't say I've been real successful, but it sure has been fun! :oops:

Thanks Guy, yeah it was a heck of a hunt. We probably hiked another 20+ miles while we were back there going up and down all the different mountains looking for the "big one". Just a side note, lost about 25 pounds through the whole thing.

But I agree, if it doesnt feed me,keep me dry or shelter me it doesnt go in my pack. It took me many trips to figure out what "needs" to go and what is a luxury. My usual pack equipment:

Barney's frame and pack
North Face Cat's Meow bag (gotta love that name :lol: )
Thermarest Ultralite pad
Tarp or tent depending loacl weather
Water purifier & 1 Nalgene bottle
Helle knife and sharpener
small flashlight & head lamp
Parachute cord & game bag(s)
small first aid kit & GPS
1 extra pair of underwear,socks,undershirt
Bino's (sometimes rangefider & spotting scope)
Helly Hansen rain gear (heavy but I dont like getting wet)
rifle with 10 extra rounds
food (Mountain Houses,Snicker bars,coffee,summer sausage & bagels)

Depending on what I am hunting and the time of year this changes a little. But that is about the norm for me. I always wear a pair of Snowboarding pants (dont laugh, they work great) and a fleece jacket with fleece gloves & beanie. Always have my Lowa Sheephunters on as well.

Good luck on your hunt, I will be chasing Dall Sheep around around that same time.

Tim

Oh yeah, here's the outcome of my latest hunt:

7409_R1_07_16A_008.sized.jpg

I will get him back next month. 9 1/2" long with 5 1/2" bases. Aged at 9 1/2 years old. Had a beautiful winter coat. Will definitely be a trip to remember for a long time.

Tim

Tim, where'd you go for your goat hunt?

I run into them frequently here in Washington's Cascades - but drawing a tag for one is difficult. Still, I'll keep putting in for the draw.

Thanks, Guy

This is on the Alaska Penninsula (cant give up the secret spot :wink: ) It is also a draw tag in this area, and after 4 years I finally drew it. I am still a resident there so no guide was needed (it is for non-resi's though).

Great hunt with a good buddy, he got a beautiful 5 1/2 ft black bear 3 days before I got this. I have a ton of scenery photos if anyone is interested.

Good luck on your hunt Guy, backpacking is the only way to get to the "big ones".

Tim

Back