Paid For

Depends entirely on how (where) you will use it...in my opinion.

26 will be handy with heavy bullets...say 190-200 grains.

Load a high b.c. bullet in that 26" tube and it will far from useless. Sounds like those with 26 " Ruger no 1 B 30-06's are quite happy with them.

Only one thing really matters here...

Ask yourself (and answer honestly)....do you mind carrying the extra barrel length and is it a problem for you to do so?

The answer to that simple question will tell you all you need to know.

Thats how I decided on the barrel length for my Nosler rifle...in my case the answer was yes on both counts...I do mind and it is a problem...I just don't like long barrels, and I often hunt from a single man pop up blind (Primos Gunhunter blind)....even the 24" barrel is pushing it in that blind...I also coyote hunt from the "mobile unit" (the truck), its hard enough to get a 24" barrel out the window, let alone 26".

Your answers will likely be different...I only gave mine as an example of how I decided...thinking maybe the same process will work for you.

I don't think it's a waste. Not common, but then again, you aren't building a common rifle. With all the new powders out there, the possibilities in a 26" tube are really promising.

If you're interested in having a brush gun to shoot CoreLokts out of....yeah, it's not really gonna do much. But stoke that bad boy with a case full of of super powder and a sleek 180-200gr AB....and you're on to something.

Ridgerunner665":1hepa6ad said:
Only one thing really matters here...

Ask yourself (and answer honestly)....do you mind carrying the extra barrel length and is it a problem for you to do so?

The answer to that simple question will tell you all you need to know.

Thats how I decided on the barrel length for my Nosler rifle...in my case the answer was yes on both counts...I do mind and it is a problem...I just don't like long barrels, and I often hunt from a single man pop up blind (Primos Gunhunter blind)....even the 24" barrel is pushing it in that blind...I also coyote hunt from the "mobile unit" (the truck), its hard enough to get a 24" barrel out the window, let alone 26".

Your answers will likely be different...I only gave mine as an example of how I decided...thinking maybe the same process will work for you.
I've got 22" barreled 30-06 for those times a longer barrel is inappropriate. [emoji4]
hodgeman":1hepa6ad said:
I don't think it's a waste. Not common, but then again, you aren't building a common rifle. With all the new powders out there, the possibilities in a 26" tube are really promising.

If you're interested in having a brush gun to shoot CoreLokts out of....yeah, it's not really gonna do much. But stoke that bad boy with a case full of of super powder and a sleek 180-200gr AB....and you're on to something.
That's what I was thinking when I ordered it. Sort of a 30-06 two gun combo.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Be careful about listening to the experts; they'll get you confused. :grin:

Ridgerunner665":2odlargv said:
Then I say enjoy your 30-06 H&H and let the experts drool...

I like that, a 30-06 H&H.
Great rifle Vince, congratulations buddy.
Excellent choice for glass too. (y)

JD338

I'm kind of lost.
I thought I ordered a 30-06 Springfield but you guys are making reference to a 30-06 H & H. What gives?
Please explain using simple, short, sentences as I'm Dumb this morning and easily confused.

The extra speed from the 26" barrel lets the 30-06 creep up around original 300 H&H loads...

That is, if the 06 is loaded to 63k psi...which is perfectly safe to do.

Man, just think! Had you ordered a thirty-six inch barrel, you'd have a 300 Winchester Magnum!

Ridgerunner665":2qvjfhkv said:
The extra speed from the 26" barrel lets the 30-06 creep up around original 300 H&H loads...

That is, if the 06 is loaded to 63k psi...which is perfectly safe to do.
Thank you.
I really shouldn't try to comprehend things when I first awaken.

Several friends of mine load the '06 to high pressure with RL17 and get 2900+ with 180gr...in 24" barrels.

I'd think you'd easily get to historic H&H levels...

hodgeman":1af1elpm said:
Several friends of mine load the '06 to high pressure with RL17 and get 2900+ with 180gr...in 24" barrels.

I'd think you'd easily get to historic H&H levels...
I'll give it a go.

I'm going to try the new IMR 4451 first though.
I haven't seen any of the Reloader powders in over a year.

If you wish to do so, it is not difficult to rechamber a .30-06 to .308 Norma Mag with same case length and opened bolt face. Then you will get .300 WSM velocities. I did that to a Ruger Model 77, 45 years ago, worked great.

.308 Norma Magnum?
Use a .308 case?

Back