Painting a synthetic stock

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
Ok I just bought a weatherby vanguard with the black synthetic stock (I hate plain black synthetic stocks!) My question is what have you guys used to paint synthetic stocks? I was thinking about going with duracoat, as I have heard good things about it.

ScreaminEagle":32ojjri0 said:
Ok I just bought a weatherby vanguard with the black synthetic stock (I hate plain black synthetic stocks!) My question is what have you guys used to paint synthetic stocks? I was thinking about going with duracoat, as I have heard good things about it.
That's what I used.
Holds up well and easy to touch up when scratched.
I've also used BBQ flat black paint on barrels. Holds up good.

I cant remember the name of it ,but its used on outdoor furniture.IT has a couple different colors in one can,makes a great textured finsh on the stock.kind of splatters as it comes out. i did a factory 700 stock about 12 years ago and its still holding up.

I have used Krylon camo paint to do a number of stocks and it holds up pretty good. I have done a close copy of the USMC digital camo. I paint the stock with sand color 3 light coats letting dry between them. Then I take a plastic mat that is used for needle point or cross stitching with yarn. Wal-mart has them in the sewing department. It has little squares about 1/8 inch is size. I lay this on the stock and give a little shot of black in spots or slashing moves and then fill in between them with the green. It really looks good

I have a friend who did two tupperware stocks with Krylon Fusion plastic paint with very good results. And, if you're prone to losing things, you could use the blaze orange fusion paint! ;)

I have done many many with fusion all good results if you are worried about chipping it use some matte clear coat

DSCN4571.jpg

DSCN4570.jpg

DSCN4568.jpg

DSCN4567.jpg

I painted this one with Krylon camo spray paints. Put a base layer of the tan/beige color, then took a pine tree branch and layed it on the stock and sprayed the olive over it. After that I did multiple coats of matte clear coat and let it dry good. Didnt turn out quite like I pictured in my mind but I like it. I also did my Marlin 22lr like this one too. Best part about it is that if you dont like the way it turned out, spray over it or strip it down and start over.

Use a Rust-Oleum camouflage paint. I used it on my 40X wood stock, and I'm pretty sure it will work just as good on synthetic stock.

Fishing081.jpg

Fishing083.jpg

Fishing079.jpg

Deer tracker, you did a great job too. So far I have heard a lot of good things about a rattle can. I thought for sure the some guys on here would have used duracoat.

Desert Fox, what did you use for a stencil to make the "scales"? I've used a tree branch and grass and such, but your scales look very straight and uniform. I like it and want to steal your process for my next.....

I would bet it is some kind of netting. We used to use camo netting in order to paint out stuff and DF's looks very similar to that. Scotty

chet":2918fq4k said:
Desert Fox, what did you use for a stencil to make the "scales"? I've used a tree branch and grass and such, but your scales look very straight and uniform. I like it and want to steal your process for my next.....

Guys you won't believe this, but it is a nylon knitting that I salvaged from an old bag that my wife used to haul kids beach shoes :) :) :oops: I put it to good use didn't I.

Boy, those are some great looking stocks. I'm kind of inspired to give it a try. I've only done single color. Thanks for the techniques and tips. 8)
Greg

Back