parallax problems?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Ok this is weird. I mounted a Leupold Compact 2x7 Vari X-2 on my 444 Marlin and since the 100 and 200 yard ranges were packed I decided to do some playing at the 50 yard range. I shot a few groups of some new stuff and some other stuff that was doing really great at 100 yards on another day.
Would you believe the rifle shot better at 100 yards than it did at 50? All loads used identical components and no LOT # change.

Also mounted a 3x9 ballistic plex Burris scope on my 17 HMR Marlin heavy barrel. I know the Burris is not a rimfire but the BP reticule works great with the 17's trajectory. Had a hell of a time making adjustments at 50. Gun did great at 100 with another scope (also a big game scope) in the past.

Any theories?

On the 444, I'm betting your bullets aren't "asleep" yet at 50yds. If I'm not missing my guess, you're shooting a big, heavy, flat-nosed brick of a bullet, so it will likely take longer to stabilize, as it won't "cut the air" as cleanly, and it leaves a big hole in the air behind it. Once it gets stabilized (goes to sleep) it's fine.

On the 17, I'm wondering if you have a scope issue - like breakage or tracking problems. I've dealt with parallax issues before at short range (50yd parallax scope at 100yds) and the total misalignment is usually under .5" at those distances. If the gun does fine with this scope at 100, then it's parallax. But I suspect if it won't adjust at 50, it won't adjust at 100. Unless, of course, you're doing what I did once - and getting the clicks backwards. Remember that if you need 4 clicks at 100yds to move an inch, you need 8 clicks at 50, not 2. I spent 45min and a box of ammo being a range idiot once years ago. I've since watched numerous other folks do the same.

Yes I was using 300 grain Speer Hornady and cast bullets in the 444 that day.

Fotis,

What about the focus. It might be that "your" eyes need a focus adjustment for the 50 yd mark.

JD338

The only focus available was the rear ocular. The reticule was nice and crisp.

FOTIS":2tspmcch said:

Well, you answered that question. It might be worth a call to Leupold customer service to see what they have to say.

JD338

I had a Burris Signature Select 3-12x44 that I figured would be the best overall hunting scope ever! The thing had no parallax adjust, but would change with the fast focus adjust. I could adjust the focus to make the parallax OK and it would be out of focus. It drove me nuts and I sold it. What I have noticed is with a gun that kicks enough to move it between shots (all over the bags) and you don't get it right back where it was, parallax can be a problem when trying for a group.

JD338":196oj3t2 said:
FOTIS":196oj3t2 said:

Well, you answered that question. It might be worth a call to Leupold customer service to see what they have to say.

JD338

What I meant is that the rear ocular was the only adjustment point......

FOTIS":mxkmeas5 said:
JD338":mxkmeas5 said:
FOTIS":mxkmeas5 said:

JD338

What I meant is that the rear ocular was the only adjustment point......

Fotis, that is what I understood. I have been feeling under the weather and I should have mentioned that in my initial post back to you.
Sorry for the confussion.

Jim

If i remember correctly the leupold rifle scopes without adjustable objectives are paralax fixed at 150yds. This could lead to better groups at 100yds than 50yds I'm guessing

I agree with the going to sleep theory, I shoot a lot of long high bc bullets and sometimes they don't shoot that great at 100 yards. However they shoot extremely well past the 300 yard mark. Bergers are notorious for that.

I will be trying the longer thing also. Just bought this for fun.

218-wfieupL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Do-All Outdoors Impact Seal Self Healing Big Gong Show Reactive Target

I figure if I can hit this at 200 yards with the 444 or 32 win or 30-30 then I am good.
Should be fun. :p

usmc 89":281d0ecm said:
I agree with the going to sleep theory, I shoot a lot of long high bc bullets and sometimes they don't shoot that great at 100 yards. However they shoot extremely well past the 300 yard mark. Bergers are notorious for that.

I have seen this with a few bullets out of the faster cartridges. 200 yard groups can be as good or better than my 100 yard stuff and 300 was pretty decent as well. Scotty

Back