Penetratio Question re Nosler partition gold 150gr in 30-06

Beginner
Sep 18, 2006
I'm off tomorrow for a weekend hunting for really big red stag just pre rut. Exciting as I've found sheds of 6lb weight a side! :shock:

Ordinarily I stick to broadside shots but shot opportunities are rare and if the mother of all stags offers a hard raking shot I'm wondering if this bullet combination is up to to punching through to the vitals? Body weight is going to be large mule deer up to small cow elk. The load is doing 2,850fps and is extremely accurate.

I've heard the Partition gold is very tough.

You have an excellent set-up with that bullet/caliber combo. The 150 PTG will work fine.

Keep us informed of your hunt results.

Of the Partition Golds my friend and I used (180gr) in our 300WM from 1997 up to 2004 (switched to the Accubonds), they were a great bullet. Just didnt like the tip of the buleet getting "Squared - off" from cycling in and out of the clip.

At the range the PG bullet would go thru 3/4" steel plates. I think penetration on a STAG wont be problem. These bullets kill great.

Would still be using them if the Accubonds were not out. Still have a box and a half of Winchester Supreme PG 180's for my 300WM

Post pictures of your stag. You should be fine. Personally, I would opt for a heavier bullet, but this will work and work well. I'm just old fashioned and like heavy for calibre bullets.

Good luck on your stag hunt. I've used Partition gold on Elk hunts and they do work, but I agree with Dr. Mike. I use a minimum of 180 grain Partition in my 300WSM and a 225 grain Partition in my .338RUM when hunting Elk. I know a lot of people on this forum use much lighter weight bullets but there is nothing like "Mass" to push a bullet where you want it to go.

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck on your stag hunt. Let us know hoe the PTG works for you and post some pictures of your hunt.

JD338

Back