Picture of my bear rug

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
I shot this black bear when I was 17. He scored 18 15/16. He weighed approximately 400lbs. I shot him with my 300 RUM and the 200g SMK. 250 yards behind the shoulder. He slid on his nose for about 5feet. The 200g SMK did kill the bear, however performance for the bullet was not that great. I found it about 3/4 through the bear and the biggest piece I found weighed 20g. The bear was 6'2. He is placed at #10 in Oregon for youth.

nlblg2.jpg

remingtonman_25_06,

Great looking bear!
I shot a 200 lber last fall that I am having made into a rug. I used my 338 RUM with a 210 gr PT and shot him at 30 feet. The bullet entered the right shoulder and exited the back end of the rib cage with a hole the size of a golf ball. The Bear droped at the shot .

Regards,

JD338

remingtonman_25_06 said:
I shot him with my 300 RUM and the 200g SMK. 250 yards behind the shoulder.The 200g SMK did kill the bear, however performance for the bullet was not that great. I found it about 3/4 through the bear and the biggest piece I found weighed 20g.

Thank God you went to a real bullet in that 300 RUM.

I still do not get people using a target bullet for big game.....

POP

Well I'm not saying they dont work, because obviously it fell to 1 shot and it was a target bullet. I think they do have there place though, just not for bears or elk. However, you know and I know this is a hot topic on LRhunting. I think if I woulda used the 220g or 240g SMK, I might have got full penetration, however, I didn't, I used the 200g SMK. I think these big bullets are still great for coyotes, antelope, deer, sheep, just not bears or elk, except for maybe the 220g and 240g smks. There is just to many people on there that use them with success. Hell, mine was a success, I just chose not to use them again, at least that particular bullet weight. I feel the 220g with its superior SD, probly woulda went through the bear, but I still did not hit any shoulder bone, and thats usually where I like to put the bullet to anchor game on the spot. With that said, you cant hit stuff at long range with regular hutning bullets, therefor you'll never kill them if you cant hit them. With that said, when I get my 28" barreled 300 RUM, or 7 Allen Mag, or 338 EDGE, I'll be using them big heavy bullets, particularly the 200g ULD in the 7mm, the 240g SMK for the 300 RUM, or the 300g SMK for the 338 EDGE. Them bears and elk wont know what hit them with those bullets. As far as a 300 RUM goes for out to 800 yards, I still feel the 200g AB is the best bullet going for it. It will flat crush elk and bears shoulder blades and still exit, no problems leaving gaping holes. So even if they dont drop, your getting a hell of a blood trail to follow. My experience with target bullets has been somewhat limited comared to others, but all else being, you put that bullet in the killzone and your going to have your animal. None of them guys advocate using the smaller weights, you must use the heavy weights, I.E. 220g or 240g for .308" or the big 300g for the .338"

Rem Man,

You sure do get a lot of flack from these guys on this board. I have enjoyed your responses & I really was jealous of your Spike Elk picture. I looked at that and said to myself, "I'd give nearly anything just to be able to sit on that same hill."

Reloader 28

Yah I see that I'm getting some crap from a select few, wont mention any names. They just dont see things the way we do. They look at it like it cant be done, we on the other hand know that it can be done, and it does happen quite regularly. There are a select % that know what it takes, and the people that take the time and knowledge are the ones who can use it. That particular canyon is the one we shoot quite a few spikes and the occasional big bull. It's the head of the Umatilla river. It's very steep country, there is lots of elk in there though. Most people hunt the tops, but the smarter ones know that most the time when elk are pressured, go right to the canyons. Most guys dont like hunting canyons. Fine with me!!! Thats where long range shooting comes into play. You see a elk 548 yards across the canyon, you have all the time in the world to get the range, get a rest, mine being a harris bi-pod, turn my clicks to the appropriate setting, read the wind, if its more then 5mph, I dont shoot. I dont cleaim to be the best wind shooter. I have hunted spikes for 7 years and have only got to shoot at 2 spikes. They are both dead. 1 was 525 yards, 1 shot with no special turrets, I just knew where to hold because I know my ballistics quite well. This years elk I wanted a 700-800 yard shot, but hey I'll take the 250 just as easily any day. All the other times, I just am not that lucky to see spikes, they are hard to hunt. Going home empty handed means spending lots of money on beef. If your set up properly, one can bag more animals being a better LR shooter.

POP-

This is why I spend most my time on LRhunting.com Its just a nice place to be around when you know your not going to get any crap for taking a 500-800 yard shot. Your surrounded by good people who know what it takes, and do the same. They are there to help, not put you down. They have an understanding. You know what I"m talking about. Anywhere else, even on here, the mentioni of even a 400 yard shot causes an uproar. I dont care anymore, I love Nosler bullets, I like this site. I share my expereience how they are and thats that. If someone wants to disagree and pretty much say its not possible, I like to try and explain the proper ways and equipment in which to make it possible. However, as both you and I know, there are those who dont believe it untill they see it.

Rem Man,

Thats the reason I posted the link to Beyond Belief. I would have thought a few more folks would have responded to it. I guess there just are not too many guys here doing LRH. As you know, the key to successful LRH is practice, practice practice.
The LRH board is much more plesant since Len did some house cleaning.

Regards,

JD338

I have not seen beyond belief, but here its an awesome video. I was wanting to start videotaping some of my hunts and shots at LR, but finding someone who just wants to videotape is hard. I have shot many coyotes at 400-600 yards, couple deer, and couple elk, 1 antelope, 2 bears. All at ranges from 400-600. Most were 1 shot kills, and if not, the 2nd shot was all that was needed. Yep, practice is what you need. I am fortunate enough to have a farmer who lets me shoot on his property which is only a 5 minute drive from my house. He has boards set up at 100-200-300 yards. He has a duck pond that when you shoot across is 525 yards. That is milk jug territory. Another bank is 800 yards, which is where I practice for drop and the occasional milk jugs, and when I want to shoot my 300 RUM way out there, I have my 14" steel gong set below the far horizon at 1150 yards. I owe it to this farmer for if it was not for him, my shooting skills would not be as good as they are. I also owe it to the fellows on LRH.com Nicest group of guys one could ask for information. As you know, having some of the right equipment and having the knowledge and practice makes shots out to at least 600 yards, pretty easy. With a lot of practice 800 is not out of the question. With factory rifles though, I think 800 is max. WIth a semi custom, meaning a new custom barrel, 1000 yards is not out of the question. That is my goal over the next couple years. To bang either a yote or muley at 1000 yards. I shoot a lot. I have shot my swift 500 times in 9 months. I shoot my 222 about 1000 rounds a year. I shot my 25-06 barrel out in 2.5 years putting over 3000 rounds thorugh it, so thats over 1000 rounds a year out of that, and in my 300 RUM i have put over 1000 rounds in 2 years. Thats just a lot of practice and 80% of it is done at 525-800 yards.

I too shot like you do when I was your age. I shot out the barrel of my 30-06, 7000+ rounds from HI Power competition.
Them was the days! :(

Regards,

JD338

rem:

I hope you do not think I was giving you flack. I was not. I practice long range and I hunt long range if I can not get closer. But I only shoot (like you) when you know you will not miss or wound the animal.
My only pet peeve is using tools that are not up to the task ie match bullets. i just can not do it man. I believe if I want to shoot paper there is nothing better than Sierras but launching them at a Royal Bull elk at 956 yards does not give me a warm fuzzy. Sorry.

I will post this again. These are Sierra MK in the middle from like 2100 to 2600 fps (30 caliber and the other bullets are different 30 cal 180 gr) in wet news print. The worst bullet tested.

sux.jpg

Thats why Nosler invented the heavy weight AB's. :grin:

Regards,

JD338

Those are the same results I got when I shot my 200g and 220g SMK's into wet newspaper at 100 yards. They just did not seem to expand, but on game, its different. Out of 3 bullets I shot into it, only 1 expanded, and the jacket seperated, and the lead core was gone, I basically had a little cup boattail of the bullet, the other 2 looked like full metal jackets and were just bent and deformed a little. They seem to expand a little to much, to quickly on game, at least with lighter weights. I dont know if wet newspaper is the best media, but I have used it to test all bullets ranging from core lokts, which suck let me tell you what, way more explosive then btips, btips, sst's, sierra match kings, accubonds, partitions. I set it up in cardboard box, compressed, soaked and shot at 100 yards. Seems to work for me, but I have read where its a litle to hard of a media. It still gives you a good idea of what your bullet is gonna be doing though. I know you weren't giving me no flak, i didn't mean to sound like you were. Just a couple others, not you though.

Back