Polygonal Rifle Barrel

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
I re-barreled my 300 Winchester using Pac-nor Polygonal rifling barrel. I heard a lot of good things about this type of barrel. It seems that it has it's following. One notable in particular is David Tubbs. It is in this primes that I decided to use it in my next re-barelling project. I can't say much about the accuracy of this type of barrel. Just check the 2 three shot group below during barrel break in. The problem I noticed was it unusually foul so badly. The barrel feels really smooth when I run patch through it but I don't understand why it grabs copper like magnet. I'm still waiting for Pac-nor's explanation. They haven't return my call yet. I already fired 14 rounds through the barrel and it seems like the fouling was getting a little less and less every time I clean. Maybe I just have to be patient.

Here's the 2-3 shot group. I cleaned the barrel every three firings. The group separated because I was adjusting the scope.

Load Data: 165 grain Nosler AccuBond, 68 grain IMR 4350, Fed 215M primer, Federal Gold Medal Brass

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

I'm interested to see if the fouling goes away after 50 rounds or so. To be honest, if I had a bore that fouls like that, I'd rather it be on a heavy barrel .300 magnum, rather than a varmint rifle.

I've done barrel break-in on a lot of Pac-Nor barrels during the past several years. I've never observed excessive fouling. I'll be interested in hearing what they tell you. In fairness, I've not shot any of the polygonal barrels.

Id be thrilled with a group like that. She'll come around I expect. The "nut behind the trigger" is a perfectionist. A successful one, I might add... :) CL

BK":d6lwztc3 said:
I'm interested to see if the fouling goes away after 50 rounds or so. To be honest, if I had a bore that fouls like that, I'd rather it be on a heavy barrel .300 magnum, rather than a varmint rifle.

That's right! My worry is really unfounded :lol: Who cares about fouling...right. This rifle was designed for one shot-one kill. :wink:

DrMike":c7lexve4 said:
I've done barrel break-in on a lot of Pac-Nor barrels during the past several years. I've never observed excessive fouling. I'll be interested in hearing what they tell you. In fairness, I've not shot any of the polygonal barrels.
DrMike, this is my second Pac-nor. The first one is a 3 grove 12 twist in my 308. I can shoot all day long with this rifle without cleaning. If or when I do decide to clean the barrel, it usually doesn't require much effort.

cloverleaf":373k2qfo said:
Id be thrilled with a group like that. She'll come around I expect. The "nut behind the trigger" is a perfectionist. A successful one, I might add... :) CL
CL, I won't doubt that she'll come around.

A nut yes, but not sure about perfectionist, :grin:

Very nice rifle DF! That is a sweetheart of a rifle. Looks like it is shooting really well too! Man, I can't wait to see what your final loads are! Scotty

beretzs":8sga17bw said:
Very nice rifle DF! That is a sweetheart of a rifle. Looks like it is shooting really well too! Man, I can't wait to see what your final loads are! Scotty
Thanks Scotty. I haven't really tried anything but 165 AccuBond. I might stay with this round. It seems like the rifle loves it. This would be a great deer load.

I've had 1 PacNor poly barrel. I ended up trading it for a Rem 700 MLR that I thought I had to have. It was really bad for grabbing pressure fast and hard to clean. I talked to a guy that built a 7mm Dakota on one and he told me that they take awhile to break in, like 100-125 rounds. After which they clean up and shoot great, and don't erode to bad at all. I had mine for 105 rnds and was running surplus powder in it too, so that wasn't likely to help keep things clean either. I really lost interest in the project more than anythign else. It was a Savage build, and lacked a decent stock.

DF

Nice stick. I am thinking 50-100 rounds down the tube and you will be set to go.
Let us know what Pac-Nor has to say.

JD338

Ive used Pac Nor barrels for a while, they take a lil
time to settle in and are easy to clean no problem with
high intensity rounds, the last Pacnor I had was chambered in
7mm RUM.
Changed to Broughton and Im very very satisfied with the
barrels produced by Tim North, been using them exclusively
for some time now, had a 7mmSTW that at the first shots worked
excellent since start, last one used a .243 t8.
Have had excellent results with polys.
im finishing a .300 Win Mag with a Lilja 3 groove lets see how it
works.
j

BK":32iwakfm said:
Hey DF, had a chance to run a few more down the new tube?
BK, No I haven't. Been working with my 7WSM and 308 instead getting it ready for the upcoming 600/1000 yards Championship shoot at the end of this month. I switched bullet for both. I will be using the new Sierra 180 grain SMK for the 7WSM and 168 grain Nosler Competition for the 308. This is the first time that I'm going to use both bullet for Competition. I have no luck with the 180 Berger VLD and 155 Scenar on my last competition. It will be a night shoot for the 600 yards and a day shoot for 1K. Both score will be combine to crown the champion. This will be fun :grin: .

DF - the 168 Nosler Comp bullet has done very well for me in 600 yard prone competition, from my .308 Win.

Not sure how well it holds up out at longer ranges, but the Nosler is very good at 600 yards. Both Varget and RL-15 have worked well, producing competitive High Master scores.

Best of luck in the Championship!

That sounds like a good time DF! Looking forward to hearing how your loads and shooting do at the match. Scotty

Hmmm, of the Pac-Nor barrel's I have, 3 of which are Poly's, I haven't had any issue's with fouling of any kind. Accuracy is also excellent! I haven't one that shoots greater then 1/2 moa., on an average day. And the 6mmAI in the XP-100 platform, is proving to be plain scary accurate with the Nolser CC 105's. Going to see what the 107's do as well, just not sure when.
Also, just got another not long ago, chambered in the .308Win. making number 4,,,,be awhile before I can play with it however.

Back