POP,Quickload help for 30-30 win

whit

Beginner
Dec 10, 2008
Pop,
Does your quickload program have info on the Hornady .308 flextip bullet for 30-30 win. The bullet weight is 160 grains. I want to find a load using Varget. The Hornady site has loads for similar powders but not Varget.

Thanks
Chris

Nope it does not. I suggest you extrapolate data between 150/170 gr. That is what I will do.

Well I'm in the same boat that you are. I've got some 160 gr.FTX that I want to load up for my sons and grandsons. I tried Hornady and they wouldn't give out their powder mixture to acheive 2400 FPS. This is what I did get from them for 160gr.FTX. H4895 28.4gr. @2050 FPS.,H335 28.5gr. 2000FPS.,IMR4895 28.2gr. 1900FPS. I am now waiting on some H4895 to come in so I can load up some 160FTX. Hope this helps you out.

NoslersRock!

I noticed that hornady uses a 24 inch test barrel to kock down 2400 with there mystery load. Could be real tough to get that from a 20 inch barrel on most of them 30:30 lever rifles. My plan is to chrono there load in my marlin 336 and see what I can do to match that velocity with reloads. I will be going with H-4895 also. I,m getting superb accuracy with that powder in both of my marlins. I will find out soon what can be done with the hornady 160 grainer.

Using the Hornady factory .30-30 Leverevolution ammo, I was able to put 3 into 1" :eek: :eek: at 100 yards. I don't know who was more surprised; me or the guy on the bench next to me :lol: :lol: I shoot my Win. 94 with a Williams peep sight with no centre peep attached, just the open hole. The velocities through my chrono. went 2264, 2261, 2271. Heck of a catridge in my 94 :grin:

Excellent info bobbyrum. The velocity you got makes complete sense and does not surprise me. I do think its possible to match that velocity with handloads and hornady bullets. I,m going to chrono the factory ammo tomorrow in my marlin and go from there. Should be some great fun trying to get 1" groups with a 30:30 and no scope and bullets I have never loaded. I like the challenge though. We shall see.

I think your going to have some fun, Hubcap :) Myself, I don't shoot it enough at this point to invest in reloading the .30-30, but I'm not chucking the brass either :wink: Good luck :grin:

Back