Powder and Primer storage.

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
I'm looking for secure but safe powder and primer storage ideas. I have a loading room but I also have a lot kids coming and going in the house these days(two teenagers of my own plus all their friends). I want secure and locked but don't want to create a bomb. What do you all do or use. Thinking about a metal supply cabinet and switching out the doors with either metal grate or expanded mesh - one for powder and one for primers.

Scott

Mine is just a reloading/gun storage room with a dead bolt lock on the door...and a no smoking sign.

Not a lot of traffic in my house though to be honest...

Thanks guys!
I wasn't even thinking about NFPA requirements :shock:. ... and I'm an ex firefighter! I have way more than 20lbs so I guess I need to build a box per standards. The same box will increase the security as well. Have safes for the weapons and I'm adding a security door to the loading room. To many of these shootings by young people turn out to be done with stolen or family owned firearms and I just want to secure anything that could be used by a confused young person. In todays litigious society I 'd hate to be liable for anything stolen from me; especially if I didn't make every effort to secure them.

Without regard to any pertinent regulations that may apply in your area; several friends and I all keep powder in a standard metal filing cabinet. It is easy to use and keeps powder sorted and easy to find. It's somewhat fire resistant too.
If the cabinet doesn't have sufficient locks you can easily run a rod down through the handles with a make-shift hasp and padlock on the top.

FWIW - at one time I worked for a large gun store where only a small amount of powder was allowed and it had to be in a wooden powder box with an inventory sheet. Inspectors came around periodically. We never failed an inspection because that powder was never touched. The store kept a large amount of powder on hand which was hidden in cardboard boxes. Inspectors only looked in the "official" powder box.
I think the powder storage regs are probably way over blown and most reloaders don't even know what they are never mind being in compliance with them. How many serious incidents have you heard related to non-commercial storage of gunpowder??
Just my 2 cents.

I know a guys who's house caught fire...not because of the powder and primers in there, it started because of faulty wiring (old house)...but the 20 some odd pounds of powder he had in there made for quite the bonfire...no major explosions, they were all just in the jugs.

When he rebuilt...he made him a "little house" in the back yard, the reloading stuff is now in there.

Like muleman said...my guns are all in the safe, only have one safe now after I sold most of my collection last year....sold a bunch of rifles and 4 old safes, and bought a new (better, much better) safe...rated for 23 long guns, will hold about 12 scoped rifles...all I'll ever need from now on.

And yes, I put a "real" door on my room (the loading/gun storage/hunting stuff/man cave)...I took over my oldest sons room when he left for the USMC :grin:

My powder just sits on the shelf in that room...not gonna say how much is in there, lol....don't know anything about the regulations of such things in Tennessee.

I have my primers in a wooden drawer and powder (12 lbs.) in a pantry closet. I have no children at my house

I don't lock it but I keep my powder and primers in an old refrigerator. I put the primers in the freezer section and powder in the other section. It is fire resistant and moisture resistant but if it did get hot enough to set things off the doors would pop open and not be a bomb. If you placed a hasp lock on each door that would allow the doors to slightly open that would allow pressure to escape but not allow access to anything it should work great. Old refrigerators are easy to find and people will usually give them to you to get rid of them. I do lock my loading room even though I don't have kids around.

Back