Powder funnel static charge question

orion11

Beginner
Oct 22, 2007
I was using my powder trickler and plastic RCBS funnel to load some test E-tips for the '06 and had an issue with several grains of powder "sticking" on the inner walls of the funnel when charging the cases. Seemed to start after 5 or 6 rounds and I had to try and tap the remaining grains into the case. I am assuming a static charge had built up on the funnel and this was the cause? I tried washing and drying the funnel good but no help. Is there another cause for this or, does someone make a funnel out of a differant matireal than plastic that doesnt do this? Wondering if anyone else has run into this when weighing each load and using a funnel? I wound up just pouring it into the case with the powder pan which was a little too time consuming. Thanks

it is common, but can be a problem. what type of floor covering are you on? what is the weather? shoes? i load on a concrete floor with a wool rug to stand on wearing rubber soled shoes. most days very minor static charge charge can be detected if you look. the plastic the funnel is made out of can magnify the issue. your plugs are well grounded i assume?

Take a dryer sheet (fabric softener/anti-static type) and wipe down the inside and outside of your powder funnel.

Andy

the best solution is never clean your funnel, soon as a coating of graphite from the powder builds up on the funnel it will stop. the dryer sheets work but every time you wipe your funnel you start over building up graphite.
I just bump the funnel with the scale pan to get the clinging powder loose.
RR

Clean with dish soap and air dry without rinsing. This leaves a film that helps break the static grip on the powder. If you still have sticking try rubbing with a drier sheet (bounce, ect) I`ve heard quite a few people recommend pouring a pound of powder through a new funnel or measure to help coat the plastic. The graphite coats the plastic and prevents static build up.
If all else fails there are aluminum funnels available. I bought one from Precision shooting, Midway sells them also. They don`t hold static and work very well
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseP ... 5***731***.

Thanks all very much for the information. I will try one, or all of these methods, this coming weekend when I get back home.

Ol` Joe":2jyonr2o said:
I`ve heard quite a few people recommend pouring a pound of powder through a new funnel or measure to help coat the plastic. The graphite coats the plastic and prevents static build up.

That is what I do.......

Back