Powder Scales ?

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
Good Evening -

I know this has been hashed over here and there, but looking for recomendations for powder scales ?

My Dad is getting serious about hand loading again and is in need of a set of scales. The primary function will
be for .223 100yd bench-rest shooting.
1. Repeatability
2. Ease of use are the two major pieces to this puzzel.

Thanks !

I have been using a RCBS 505 beam scale for over 30 years and I have never had a problem with it. I picked up a RCBS 10-10 last week at a gun show from a guy that was selling out an estate for $25.00. I did not really need it but for $25.00 I could not turn it down. The electric scales that some of my friends bought were just too finicky for my liking. They took too long to set up and everything bothered them. If the air condition came on they would not read correctly or florescent lights would cause problems. My friends went back to their beam scales.

Mark -
If your Dad is doing benchrest shooting, he will want precision. That means a digital scale. I have a cheapo digital scale made by Frankford Arsenol that works well for me and was less than $30 a couple years ago. I'm sure you will hear from guys that have better scales than this, but it works for my applications.

Modern digital scales work pretty well. Keep them away from fluorescent lights and other electronic equipment. If that is a problem, the 5-0-5, or even the 5-0-2 scale works very well. I can load just as accurately and as quickly with the balance beam as with the digital. Part of the reason for that is undoubtedly that my early laboratory work was all with beam balance scales. However, they are fool-proof, working very well even when the power goes off.

I used the RCBS 5-02 for along time then finally just got an RCBS 10-10 about a year ago. It was alot more than 25.00, but it is a nicer scale. Overall, the 10-10 is a really good scale. Never messed with a digital scale yet. Scotty

I have a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 digital scale and love it. Like it mush better than the balance beams.

I use RCBS 10-10 scale although it's now relegated to verifying the Lyman DPS and Midway Powder measure.

Elkman":3lw3h9hi said:
I have a very old 10-10!!! Works for me!

I have the same scale, made by Ohaus. Bought it 35 years ago. :grin:

JD338

I am using the Lyman DPS and love it. I also have a 505 as backup, but it sits mostly in its box since I got the power scale.

I use the Redding 505 beam scale for my serious hunting & target loads. I am a journeyman machinist and through the years have acquired a dislike for anything digital. Anything that depends on an outside power source is prone to error. Weak batteries or variations in the power source can give wrong readings. If anyone likes digital scales, then by all means use them as I am not trying to start an argument with anyone, just my preference.

Happy Shooting
Ryan46

Ryan,

There is no question that the mechanical scales are more reliable. I trained on balance beam scales in the laboratory, working in the sciences as the transition was made to electric scales. I watched the transition until there were no balance beam scales in use in any of the laboratories--either those I worked in or those I visited. I don't imagine there are many outside of display cases today, serving as historical curiosities. I resisted the transition at my loading bench, and still keep a balance beam scale at my desk, though there are at least two electronic scales on my bench now. I think the big selling feature for the electronic scales is perceived convenience. In actuality, for an experienced hand, the balance beam scale is as fast, if not faster, than an electronic scale. However, the modern electronic scales are accurate and reproducible, and if one is willing to expend the moneys, they can be incredibly precise. You have a good point, though, that when the power goes out, they don't work very well. And there can be fluctuations as batteries grow weak.

I have using the chargemaster for a few years now still check every 10th with the balance beam :)
Hard to teach a old dog new tricks :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

i have a 5-0-5 that I don't think is right. I've tried everything, but just don't trust it. I can calibrate my RCBS 750 and weigh a charge and they're totally different. My 5-0-5 reads 463.4gr for a 30gram check-weight when it's supposed to be 462.9 (462.97 to be exact). I start by zeroing and the whole nine yards and still shows to be off.

I mechanic for a living so it's not like I'm ignorant to the whole process.

I would send them back, but I don't think it's worth the trouble. For what it's worth, I do trust mechanical scales over digital, just not the one I have.

My son, who also reloads, thought that he just could not live in the new reloading age without one of the new digital scales. I bought him one as a Christmas present one year to do his pistol loads with and needless to say it was a frustrating venture on his part. I tried using it, following the directions carefully and finally decided to give up on it. I had to constantly re-calibrate it, could not get consistent readings, and the darn thing would shut off before I could get the tare weight right. If one has to check an electronic scale every so often then check the beam scale every 10th round then why in the name of logic would one want to add extra unnecessary work while loading? I will say that I do load for max accuracy in my rifles. I guess the electronic scale would do alright if one is loading on the low side and 1/2gr of variation is not critical to them. Like I said if someone is happy with them, go for it.

Happy Shooting
Ryan46

If one has to check an electronic scale every so often then check the beam scale every 10th round then why in the name of logic would one want to add extra unnecessary work while loading?

We all do it for safety sake. I for one long resisted using electronic scale but, when you own several rifle and also reload for a couple of friends, then it's more sensible to use one. For my 223 class of cartridge, I use my Midway powder dispenser. Once it's set, I don't bother to weigh the dispensed powder anymore. Accuracy of the electronic dispenser will surprised you. My Lyman DPS 2 is very reliable and accurate. I can see the result at the range.

65-284001.jpg

I only do this at the beginning of each reloading session. Once calibrated I seldom bother to weigh the dispensed powder again.

Picture081-4.jpg

Picture084-1.jpg

Picture083-2.jpg

I only do this at the beginning of each reloading session. Once calibrated I seldom bother to weigh the dispensed powder again.

+1

The RCBS ChargeMaster is equally precise. When it says +/- 0.1 grain, that is quite accurate. I do check occasionally with check weights, and they are always right on. I have a Lyman 1000 on the bench and an RCBS 5-0-2 at hand. Precision and consistency is very important for accurate load development. The small investment in time spent checking is an added source of confidence.

Back